Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. We are looking for engineers who have experience in bringing products from the early concept stages to production by working closely with design, validation and manufacturing teams on solving technical problems along the way to make the most robust products. If some of the first things that come to your mind when looking at a complex design is “what are the way this thing can fail and how can I make it better?” then, we are looking for you!
This is what you’ll do:
- As a Design-for-Reliability Engineer, you will play a key role in designing reliability into the Rivian’s products from concept to production phases.
- You will get to work with a world-class team of design and validation engineers to come up with creative solutions to some of the most challenging engineering problems by thinking outside the box.
- Be the resident reliability development point of contact to development engineers and help design reliability into our products from the start.
This is what you’ll need:
- Minimum requirement is a Bachelor of Science in an engineering discipline or equivalent. Level of Role depends on experience and qualifications.
- Working knowledge and experience with DFMEA.
- Working knowledge of a statistical software package.
- Interest in understanding how systems can fail and ways to make them better.
- A desire to contribute to a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team culture.
Must have domain knowledge:
- Engineering fundamentals for mechanical, electronic, or high-voltage hardware.
- Physics of failure knowledge for any of the above.
- Understanding of the hardware development process.
- Understanding of reliability statistics including Weibull Analysis.
- Experience in accelerated-life-test development methods.
- Understanding of how reliability engineers contribute to product development.
- Working knowledge of a coding language, preferably Python.
- Awareness of failure analysis techniques such as optical microscopy, SEM, CT, X-Ray, EDS.
Day In Life
- Develop relationships with designers to provide a voice for reliability throughout development.
- Set and communicate Reliability requirements and targets for components, subsystems, and assemblies.
- Specify reliability validation plans for components and subsystems using a physics of failure approach.
- Surface and define reliability risks throughout product development and drive activities to successfully burn-down risk before production.
- Develop reliability design guidelines and apply reliability lessons learned to enable continuous improvement.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.