Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
You will be responsible for helping the team optimize the dynamic performance of Rivian vehicle programs through the use of system and vehicle level simulation models. You will own the evaluation of internal development and competitive benchmark vehicles from a kinematics and compliance perspective and will help the team develop program targets and test methods.
- Work to develop suspension, steering and brakes subsystem models in Adams
- Use Adams models to:
- Optimize suspension hardpoints and compliance settings to meet program targets
- Evaluate vehicle kinematic and compliance properties against targets
- Feed suspension and steering data into full vehicle CarMaker model
- Provide loading information to Chassis and Durability teams
- Run Adams specific simulation events
- Perform correlation activities that align the Adams and CarMaker simulation models with physical test data
- Prove out concepts related payload and suspension geometry/architecture necessary to provide a safe and consistent platform through all loading conditions
- Interpret benchmark kinematic and compliance data and provide insight that guides system and component level target setting
- Evaluate and inform Chassis architectural decisions using simulation models and Vehicle Dynamics knowledge, areas of focus:
- Ride comfort
- Help develop Dynamics test plans, specifically focused on calibrating the steering, handling and ride performance through the rate tuning of springs, jounce bumpers, bushings, dampers and anti-roll bars
- Communicate cross-functionally and interact with other engineering teams to ensure development teams are aligned
- Work hard, exceed expectations, challenge industry conventions, and relentlessly strive to make truly exceptional products
- B.S. or higher in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in automotive Chassis development with a focus on Vehicle Dynamics
- Working knowledge of regulatory and certification requirements
- Working knowledge of 3D CAD software, preferably CATIA V5 or V6
- Competent in Multi-Body Dynamics tools, preferably Adams
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.