Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
As the Senior Support Engineer - Connectivity Operations, you will be responsible for supporting an operations team that will maintain multi-cellular and multi-access connectivity to Rivian vehicles, thereby allowing robust connectivity for not only today’s adventures but tomorrow’s as well. Specifically, this role will proactively monitor, triage, and resolve connectivity issues across Rivian’s global fleet, escalate issues/outages to the appropriate engineering team and/or carrier, and assist in the validation of new features/integrations that enable Rivian to execute on our core connectivity functionality and services.
This role is situated meaningfully with cross-functional visibility as connectivity is the foundation in which all of Rivian’s digital capabilities are built upon. Rivian’s Connected Fleet team works closely with cross-functional partners to support engineering, testing, and deployments across our global fleet of vehicles. This is a ground floor opportunity to revolutionize the connected car segment with an always connected vehicle that uploads thousands of signals every minute.
This is what you’ll do:
- Ensure robust connectivity for all consumer/commercial vehicles and charger deployments by proactively monitoring connectivity and anomalies across Rivian’s global fleet to remotely resolve issues and serve as a subject matter expert for the Tier-3 Connectivity Support Engineers.
- Stay current in regard to connectivity/OTA on Rivian vehicles and chargers and support internal Rivian teams on Tier 1 and Tier 2 support and diagnostics. Acquire and document in-depth technical knowledge of the company products and services. Participate in the creation and maintenance of Knowledge articles used internally.
- Monitor the Tier 3 support desk that can receive connectivity/OTA escalations from multiple teams such as service centers, engineering, and customer experience centers. Monitor the escalated issues, system alerts and notifications, and respond accordingly through service tickets.
- Promptly triage, resolve, or escalate connectivity issues to engineering and/or the carrier. Monitor, maintain, and report on SLA’s and ensure the requirements are met and that Rivian is providing the best possible experience to the vehicle owner. Provide reports and recommendations for correcting repeated issues. Investigate, research, and resolve production issues and perform Root Cause Analysis.
- Assist management in tracking the progress of OTA campaigns across Rivian’s global fleet and promptly triage/resolve failed software updates.
- Work cross functionally with product management, digital technology, and vehicle engineering to onboard new carriers and validate new integrations/features prior to releasing to production.
- Responsible for predicting, testing and validating connectivity solutions end to end in partnership with Rivian engineering, vendors, and network operators.
- Monitor the cellular configuration of a vehicle through its entire lifecycle, track the progress of eSIM swaps, and manually update the cellular configuration of vehicles when necessary.
- Proactively monitor, publish and communicate carrier network outages, known issues, service bulletins, billing reconciliation, and work with the appropriate resources to resolve carrier billing issues. Identify trending issues early and proactively escalate internally.
This is what you’ll need:
- 5+ years working as technical support engineer or network operations within the IoT, wireless/networking, or connected car industries.
- Available for on call duty during the weekend, post business hours and holidays as necessary. Flexibility to meet the requirements of 24x7 support operations including readiness for shift work.
- Self-motivated/scrappy with the ability to dive right in, develop effective processes, and work to ensure our vehicles remain connected.
- Experience with various cellular & Wi-Fi technology components such as 4G/5G, Wi-Fi connectivity management, and Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Experiencewith IoT solutions that involve complex OTA campaigns, lifecycle management, API/network integrations with various cell carriers/connectivity management platforms, and eSIM
- Strong cross-functional experience with engineering, customer support, finance, productmanagement, and
- Knowledge of the basic milestones within the cellular provisioning process and how to manage the SIM lifecycle.
- Confidence and ability to lead troubleshooting and escalation efforts with service providers (MNO/MVNO/MSO).
- Strong business and technical acumen with the ability to translate between the two.
- Willingness to work during weekend, post business hours and holidays as necessary
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Fleet Services Product Management
Location: Vancouver, BC
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.