Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Rivian Automation Controls Development team aims to be at the forefront of innovation and technology in automation controls. Our mission is to research new platforms, utilize advanced hardware, and push the limits of technology to build a world-class automation platform that minimizes development time, reduces commissioning time, and eliminates unplanned downtime.
We are looking for talented, forward thinking controls engineers to join us in developing standards, specifications, and procedures that are critical both for internally built equipment and for vendors designing manufacturing equipment for Rivian. Join us in building libraries of modular code and templates that will be used as the building blocks for Rivian manufacturing equipment across the entire company. Together we will create tools to automate steps of the development and deployment process such as historical regression testing, synthetic data generation.
As a General Controls Development Engineer, you will be part of a diverse team of engineers with a multitude of proficiencies across the entire spectrum of controls. You will have an opportunity to grow through research and development as we architect, write, and debug PLCs using Ladder Logic and/or Structured Text with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable, and reusable. Together we will develop HMI and SCADA screens that are user-friendly, intuitive and suitable for operating and troubleshooting equipment. Our safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high volume manufacturing equipment will be reliable and compliant with ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA standards. We will design interfaces that streamline the interface between the manufacturing equipment and supervisory level systems such as the factory Manufacturing Execution System (MES). By validating all of these internally developed standards and tools on production-representative lab equipment and virtual simulations you will have the ability to establish and maintain high quality and robust behavior throughout all implementations.
These are exciting times for the Automation Controls Development team and we need your unique talents to help us accomplish our lofty goals and ensure that Rivian continues to Keep the World Adventurous Forever.
- BS/MS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent – Majors in: Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.)
- Experience managing teams, projects or programs of controls standards creation, development and/or design.
- Familiarity with common controls hardware components used in high volume manufacturing.
- Hands-on experience integrating high volume manufacturing equipment.
- Knowledge of the behavior, configuration, performance, and limitations of industrial PLCs
- Proficiency programming industrial equipment using various IEC 61131-3 languages.
- Experience developing company standards and reusable code for programming Rockwell, Beckhoff, Siemens, or similar PLCs.
- Experience developing company standards and reusable templates for equipment HMIs using FactoryTalk View, WinCC, Ignition, Wonderware, TwinCAT HMI, or similar.
- Experience designing topologies for and troubleshooting common fieldbus networks such as Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT, or Profinet.
- Knowledge of communications between machine PLCs and database systems such as MS SQL or MySQL.
- Experience interfacing manufacturing equipment with Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES).
- Understanding of programming languages such as Python, C++, etc.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA).
- Knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric Code, UL508A).
- Experience developing electrical schematics using EPLAN, AutoCAD Electrical, or similar.
- Experience programming industrial 6-axis robots such as Fanuc, Kawasaki, ABB, Kuka, etc. is preferred.
- Experience with Git revision control.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.