Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Research new platforms, hardware, and strategies used for the control and monitoring of automated manufacturing equipment. This includes but is not limited to PLCs, robots, safety, HMIs, SCADA, network, vision and motion control.
- Determine ways to take full advantage of these new technologies to design world-class automation controls standards that minimize development time, commissioning time, and unplanned downtime.
- Write and own the standards, specifications, and procedures that must be followed both internally and by external vendors designing manufacturing equipment for Rivian.
- Build out libraries of modular code and templates that will be used as the building blocks for Rivian manufacturing equipment across the entire company.
- Create tools to automate various steps in the development and deployment process such as scripts for auto-generating PLC code or HMI screens.
- Design network topology strategies that optimize the equipment for remote accessibility, diagnostics, backups, data collection, and cybersecurity.
- Architect, write, and debug PLCs using Ladder Logic and/or Structured Text with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable.
- Generate user HMI and SCADA screens that are user-friendly, intuitive and suitable for operating and troubleshooting equipment. • Specify (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high volume manufacturing equipment.
- Design the interfaces for interaction between the manufacturing equipment and supervisory level systems such as the factories Manufacturing Execution System (MES).
- Validate these internally developed standards and tools on production-representative lab equipment and virtual simulations to ensure high quality and robust behavior.
- Familiarity with common controls hardware components used in high volume manufacturing.
- Hands-on experience integrating high volume manufacturing equipment.
- In-depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA).
- In-depth knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric Code, UL508A)
- Experience developing electrical schematics using EPLAN, AutoCAD Electrical, or similar. • In depth knowledge of the behavior, configuration, performance, and limitations of industrial PLCs
- Advanced proficiency programming industrial equipment using various IEC 61131-3 languages.
- Experience developing company standards and resuable code for programming Rockwell, Beckhoff, Siemens, or similar PLCs.
- Experience developing company standards and reusable templates for equipment HMIs using FactoryTalk View, WinCC, Ignition, Wonderware, TwinCAT HMI, or similar.
- Experience programming industrial 6-axis robots such as Fanuc, Kawasaki, ABB, Kuka, etc. is preferred.
- Experience designing topologies for and troubleshooting common fieldbus networks such as Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT, or Profinet.
- Knowledge of communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- Experience interfacing manufacturing equipment with Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES).
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.