Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
This is what you’ll do:
- Research new platforms, hardware, and strategies used for the control and monitoring of automated manufacturing equipment, with a focus on electrical and hardware.
- Determine ways to take full advantage of these new technologies to design world-class automation controls standards that minimize development time, commissioning time, and unplannded downtime.
- Write and own the electrical standards, specifications, and procedures covering topics including but not limited to hardware, sizing, connections, naming, installation, testing/inspection
- Research, test, and approve new hardware for Rivian’s Approved Component List to standardize manufacturing controls hardware across the entire company.
- Simplify equipment controls hardware by selecting components and designing topologies that reduce overall part count and variety.
- Drive our controls hardware standards towards IP67 field-distributed hardware to save money, simplify electrical design, simplify troubleshooting, and eliminate custom control panels.
- Build out libraries of electrical and pneumatic macros/templates for each of the approved components that will be used as the building blocks for Rivian manufacturing equipment across the entire company.
- Take advantage of the standardization to create programs and tools to automate various steps in the development process such as scripts for auto-generating electrical schematics.
- Design OT network topology strategies that optimize the equipment for remote accessibility, diagnostics, backups, data collection, and cybersecurity.
- Specify (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and other high volume manufacturing equipment.
- Validate these internally developed standards and tools on production-representative lab equipment.
- Design 480/240/110VAC and 24VDC electrical schematics for common industrial automation equipment such as robots, servos, VFDs, vision, pneumatics, dispensing, welding, fastening, etc.
- Assist in reviewing and approving electrical and pneumatic schematics from vendors delivering automation equipment to Rivian.
this is what you’ll need:
- Must have 3+ years of experience developing with ePlan EEC, EEC1, Cogineer or API, WSCAD Project Wizard or AI module, AutoCAD VBA.
- Familiarity with common controls hardware components used in high volume manufacturing.
- Hands-on experience integrating high volume manufacturing equipment.
- In-depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA).
- In-depth knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National Electric Code, UL508A).
- Experience creating electrical schematics for a variety of manufacturing applications.
- Experience developing reusable templates & macros using ePlan, WSCAD, AutoCAD Electrical, or equivalent.
- Understanding of common fieldbus communication protocols such as Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT, or Profinet.
- BS/MS Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, or equivalent
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.