Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Create ESS engineering program timelines and requirements and communicate them to the engineering team, to suppliers and to cross functional teams (purchasing, software, test and validation, body structures, manufacturing, and vehicle)
- Ensure ESS engineering timing plans deliver to the vehicle program timing plans.
- Early lead in advanced development. Work with the design team to identify key technologies to pursue and present opportunities and risks to leadership.
- Elevate issues and risks immediately to mitigate impact to the program
- Be the ESS engineering program expert and support all technical delivery, design reviews, PDTs, concept definition and resolution of all Rivian concerns.
- Issue tracking and corrective action implementations using JIRA, Confluence, Enovia and other applicable tools
- Key point of contact for the Plant Manufacturing team.
- Collaborate with Inventory Control and New Model Launch to make sure the correct parts are ready for the build.
- Confirm with Manufacturing Engineering that the process capability matches the part maturity requirements of ESS Test and Validation and the Vehicle Program
- Attend daily battery readiness meeting to address any issues noted and to monitor build progress.
- Manage ESS engineering project budgets. Communicate content changes to the Rivian finance team.
- Ensure project gateway deliverables are understood in detail and plan resources to deliver to milestone targets.
- Host daily standup meetings to resolve issues and provide clear agendas
- Report design to weight targets at each milestone with a focus on engineering signoff and start of production
- Lead Production Releases for ESS
- Drive Master Parts List reviews
- Co-ordinate and manage Design and Release Engineers to have production release plans in place and executed with no late releases and no late parts for the build phases.
- Ensure Engineering Documentation is coordinated and managed to project milestones – Risk assessment/management, Requirements, DFMEA, DVP, Functional Safety.
- Vehicle Builds – Manage and co-ordinate all BOMs, and support purchasing as needed with part procurement, sourcing, etc. for all build phases.
- Work with engineering team and vehicle program to define piece cost, investment cost and weight targets
- Manage the design and engineering content to deliver the BOM & investment targets for ESS for a specific Vehicle project. Document and report all risks and opportunities and ensure all components have targets which roll up to the ESS functional team’s target.
- Ensure ESS Programs Deliver to Requirements
- Support ESS Integration Engineering by working with Rivian Vehicle Program, ESS Systems, ESS Software, ESS Low Voltage Engineering, ESS Cell, Body Structures, ESS Test and Validation, and other stakeholders to track progress
- Ensure requirements are communicated/flowed down to internal team and external vendors
- Manage External Suppliers
- Develop relationships with existing and potential suppliers to support Rivian ongoing development programs
- Support regular Product Development Team (PDT) meetings with suppliers, engineers and purchasing to provide program expectations
- Track external program milestones to ensure that suppliers stay on track
- Ensure open issues list exists with supplier and monitor their progress against
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering/technology field, Master’s degree preferred
- 3+ years’ experience as a Design & Release Engineer or equivalent role.
- 2+ years’ experience in Technical Project/Program Management
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, presentation)
- Understanding of automotive product development process
- Good knowledge of Jira, Jama, Microsoft Project and/or Smartsheet
- Experience working in and navigating ENOVIA and 3DEXPERIENCE (CATIA V6)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to collaboratively work with and influence cross-functional departments both internally and externally.
- Formal training in problem solving and/or quantitative analysis a plus (5-why, 8D, design for six sigma, etc)
- Experience in a startup environment and an understanding of what it takes to move fast
- Formal training in program management a plus (PMP, APQP, etc)
- History of first principals approach to problem solving.
- Strong team player
- Passionate about EVs. Desire to work in fast-paced environment. History of putting in extra effort to get the job done!
- Experience with electrification programs (especially battery) preferred
- Demonstrated expertise launching multiple projects through to successful delivery, ideally beginning in early concept development
- High degree of urgency and personal ownership.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.