Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
This is what you’ll do:
- Primarily responsible for root cause identification and initial triage of field return parts
- Actively support definition of remanufacturing process, launch, ramp and future deployments
- Lead technical analyses, set requirements for issue documentation, methods for prioritization and support escalation to the appropriate assignee
- Partner with cross-functional engineering teams (including hardware, software, testing and production) to identify the true root cause of issues
- Develop processes for part receiving tests, repairs and end of line tests – at all complexity levels
- Develop standard work methods, while identifying continuous improvement opportunities that do not compromise quality or safety
- Provide technical feedback to engineering design, reliability, quality and service teams, in order to improve current and future products or processes
- Directly support the diagnosis of individual vehicles when field service are unable to resolve a problem given the available diagnostic resources and assist ongoing development of diagnostics content
- Leverage diagnostic and analytic data to drive continuous improvement in areas such as service diagnostic content, service processes, manufacturing quality and hardware/software design
- Embody a collaborative team spirit and organizational learning in an ever-changing environment – train, coach and develop colleagues in all directions as you develop a culture of serviceability throughout the company
- BSc, MSc or PhD in a relevant engineering discipline
- One to three years’ experience with propulsion systems in the automotive or comparable industry, with a combination of theoretical and practical engineering experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of foundational engineering topics (e.g., mechanics, physics, metallurgy, manufacturing methods, electronics, software, control systems) within job-related area
- Experience in automotive diagnostics development is strongly preferred
- Proven success in driving serviceability requirements in a complex, design-focused environment
- Strong analytical and structured problem-solving capabilities, with intuition for tackling problems that are unusual and complex
- Experience with C++, Python, SQL, Linux or similar technologies at a basic/comprehension level is required, and at a level of synthesis is preferred
- Experience defining, launching, and driving strategic process design initiatives to establish and improve internal and external processes and operations
- Track record of working closely with cross-functional teams and stakeholders in a technology environment
- Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with internal and external partners with a wide range of backgrounds and expectations
- Capability to be extremely detail oriented with the inclination to stop and consider the big picture where necessary
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to travel as needed
- Ability to support alternate shifts
This is where you’ll work:
- Normal, IL or Colton, CA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.