Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
Sr. BMS Control Systems Engineer, Stationary Storage
United States, California, Irvine
- Lead requirement development and analysis of BMS features for the stationary energy storage variant, including functional diagrams and software requirements, and the interface diagrams for the SW architecture
- Conduct functional safety development and analysis of safety specific BMS features to comply with the UL standard and other relevant safety standards apply to the stationary energy storage system.
- Lead software level validation specification development (including functional and functional safety test cases); Work together with other BMS software engineers, electrical systems engineers and mechanical systems engineers on software level validation specification development.
- Communicate and drive cross functional development of BMS software related control and algorithm requirements with the stationary energy storage system team.
- Create/update/modify/manage documentation to maintain accurate engineering work products; work with related engineers to review/approve/validate/release the deliverables and changes following Rivian engineering process and toolchains.
- Support development of BMS controls features in model-based environment or hand coded C.
- 3+ years of work experience in HV Battery and/or EV powertrain system
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline
- Solid knowledge of battery behavior, battery safety and battery control
- Previous experience with BMS systems design
- Previous hands-on experience with design according to UL standard, or ISO 26262, especially part 6
- Experience with system and software requirement development from the ground up, using systematic engineering analysis
- Detailed understanding of interaction between BMS and other domains in a stationary energy storage application; familiar with battery sensing, controls, algorithms, and diagnostic.
- Versed with automated requirements management tools (e.g. JAMA, Doors, etc.) and issue tracking tools (Jira, Bugzilla, etc.
- Display aptitude with a variety of engineering tools such as CAN loggers, software debuggers, oscilloscopes, multi-meters, and HV test equipment
- Excellent problem-solving skills; Strong communication, multitasking, interpersonal skills, presentation, and technical writing
- Previous experience in energy storage or automotive product development environments, familiar with development process, product launches and production schedules
- Understanding of battery cell electrochemical performance and cell safety consideration; experience of cell and battery state estimation with detailed understanding of how it affects the performance of an integrated system with HV battery.
- Previous experience with DFMEA and FTA for system/SW
- Experience with model-based design to create control systems and simulation models with MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience with C-programming on embedded systems, proficient skills in Python to support data analysis
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.