Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Formulate and evaluate electrolytes and additives for different anodes and cathodes.
- Work with internal and external teams to develop innovative electrolyte and additives to improve rate, cycle/calendar life and safety.
- Develop advanced characterization techniques to evaluate properties and performance of difference electrolytes formulations.
- Work with cross functional teams internally and externally to bring new electrolyte formulations to cell production.
- Investigate relationship of electrolyte properties, SEI formation with electrode/cell performance and safety.
- Define development roadmap for electrolyte and battery cell technology.
- Be an expert leader in the technical discussion and lead the collaboration with external research laboratory.
- Train other engineers and technicians
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering, or materials science with more than 7 years working on lithium-ion batteries in a combination of academia and industry
- Demonstrated experience in electrolyte formulation and characterization.
- Strong understanding about electrolyte development for different anode/cathode chemistry and for different applications such as high voltage, high temperature, rate, low temperature performance
- Strong understanding about interaction of electrolyte with electrode interface/interphase as well as in bulk electrolyte.
- Depth of knowledge of electrochemical techniques such as LSV, CV, EIS, HPPC…
- Knowledge and hands on experience material characterization such as Karl Fisher, ionic conductivity measurement, FTIR, NMR, GC-MS, ICP, SEM/EDX, XPS
- Passionate about research/work in lithium ion batteries, especially in EV. Willing making extra effort to get the job done!
- Experience with building coin and pouch cells.
- Experience working in a glovebox and/or dry room environment, handling air-sensitive materials.
- Critical problem-solving skills: ability to ask the right people, the right questions at the right time in the right way
- Detail oriented: ability to become a subject matter expert to make informed decisions
- Curiosity: demonstrate level of interest that enables inventiveness
- Execution: demonstrate that follow through is given as much attention as problem solving
- Structured: able to organize chaos thru methodical framework and documentation to achieve goals harmoniously
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.