Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
HERE IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Definition and realization of Battery development equipment
- Responsible to support design, procurement, launch and support of Battery development equipment for the purpose of pilot engineering builds, manufacturing proof-of-concept and process development activities.
- Collaboration with internal as well as external equipment and automation resources.
- Development of process parameters and sequence
- Highlighting and definition of process constraints, and specifications
- Support machine design and development
- Collaborate and provide input to machine development from conceptualization through detailed design.
- Detailed specification of machine work holding, fixturing, isolation, deflection, positional repeatability, and other key machine requirements for process success. Extrapolating these requirements and generating turnkey equipment specifications and Request for Quotation.
- Develop specifications for custom automation equipment.
- Closely collaborate with external equipment integrators on custom automation equipment design.
- Collaborate with small teams on in-house development of novel and complex automation.
- Manage external equipment integrators from equipment development through buyoff.
- Coordinate as well as directly support specific equipment commissioning and validation activities; trouble shoot equipment and process issues.
HERE IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 7+ years of Mechanical Design experience within a manufacturing environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Expert in mechanical design and component selection including but not limited to:
- Servo selection/sizing
- Material selection and definition including coatings, surface treatment and fabrication techniques
- Conveyance systems
- Robot integration, tool sizing and EOAT design
- Integration of safety into mechanical, electrical and pneumatic systems
- Weldment design
- Component selection
- I/O strategies
- Complete design package outputs
- Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerance (GD&T) convention
- Definition of tolerances and understanding of fabrication/assembly limitations
- Mastery of CAD systems with emphasis on Solidworks and CATIA
- Mastery of FEA suites such as Ansys
- Highly developed understanding of design and fabrication best practices
- Highly developed communication skills allowing crisp distribution of information and ideas between all levels of the project team
- Possess a collaborative attitude that can bring the best from others thereby supporting a positive environment
- Significant experience developing and designing machines from concept to SOP
- Possess deep understanding of the equipment design cycle ensuring that equipment needs, documentation, and invisible aspects are considered and captured
- Possess depth of experience that will allow the ability to see when project direction needs to change to achieve goals and when to ask for additional support
- Support concept development and group collaboration to develop novel and cutting edge solutions
- Support design, fabrication, assembly, commissioning and ramp of novel equipment related to, but not limited to, the needs of cell assembly
- Guide, develop and mentor junior engineers supporting the growth of the group as well as supporting the expanded impact of the team
- Take design ownership and give direction to project supporting members to ensure that robust equipment is delivered on time.
- Support project delivery by taking on project leadership responsibilities by auditing activities of supporting team members and driving technical direction/support where needed
- Possess a sense of ownership and developed self discipline to be able to function effectively with minimal management and disconnected from the central business
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.