Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Develop next generation of novel li-ion cell designs that push the boundaries on performance, lifetime, safety and cost
- Own design, analysis, test, and delivery of product from concept to production.
- Deliver high quality CAD models, drawings & tolerance analysis package working cross functionally with interacting component engineers
- Manage requirements & develop component technical specifications through modelling & designing experiments. Develop component DFMEA and DVP&R.
- Identify new methods for cell assembly to drive down cost & ease of manufacturing
- Participate in sourcing and managing of engineering relationships with suppliers
- Lead failure analyses and experiments to propose design revisions and solutions
- Participate in hands-on trouble shooting during the development and manufacturing life-cycle
- Define cell development roadmaps & track progress
- Collaborate with cell materials scientists to co-develop and execute cell concepts to optimize performance such as energy density, power density, DCR, heat generation, and cycle life
- Manage and conduct component design reviews & author documentation and design requirements to communicate with internal and external stakeholders
THIS IS WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 4+ years of experience in related technology development with a proven track record of innovation
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Direct experience in lithium-ion cell design for EV applications (Prismatic form factors preferred)
- Strong understanding about the relationship between cell design and cycle life, calendar life, energy density and power/charging capability and safety.
- Strong mechanical engineering fundamentals with good understanding of material selection methodology
- Design experience for joining methods such as laser & ultrasonic welding and injection molding, forming/stamping, extrusion.
- Experience with release engineering including CAD design, GD&T, and PLM interface. CATIA V6 (3DX or equivalent) preferred.
- Experience with mathematical cost modeling of cell designs
- Failure analysis know-how on prototype and production cell design and ability to identify root cause(s) and corrective action(s) to address identified issues
- Proficiency in quality tools knowledge as applied to new product development and manufacturing systems including SPC, design of experiments and statistical analysis
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment with focus on innovation & first principles thinking.
- Strong oral and written communication for supplier engagement, program timing, and project management.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.