Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
As a key member of the Diagnostic Engineering team within Service Operations, you’ll be responsible for developing and providing subject matter expertise in Automotive Infotainment and Connectivity Systems. More specifically, you’ll be looked to by the service organization for engineering level knowledge of display hardware, connectivity hardware (cellular, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth), GPS hardware, automotive ethernet based and serial communication protocols, UDP / DoIP diagnostic protocols, vehicle telemetry, over the air (OTA) updates and relevant software topics (embedded Linux operating systems, web servers, log data analysis and software update functionality). In addition to component level expertise, the full system integration and performance related topics are in scope.
- Partner with engineering teams across departments (including Hardware, Software, Integration and Testing teams) to build a detailed understanding of these systems in all Rivian products
- Produce and maintain relevant technical documentation for use by the Service team to maximize diagnostic and overall service efficiency
- Develop and continuously improve the diagnostic content (such as testing procedures, evaluation logic and automated scripts) for your subject area within Rivian’s offboard diagnostic ecosystem
- Leverage telemetry, product data and diagnostic data to drive continuous improvement in areas such as service processes, manufacturing quality, and software design
- Provide technical feedback to engineering design, reliability, and quality teams to improve fielded and future products
- Directly support the diagnosis of individual vehicles when the field teams and first level escalation support are unable to resolve a problem given the available diagnostic resources. Consult with design engineers for support as needed, and improve the diagnostic information based on what is learned for future instances.
- Support the onboard diagnostics design engineering team with the development, testing, validation, and maintenance of the vehicle diagnostics system and tools related to your subject area
- Develop and tune routine service intervals for your systems based on field data for current and future vehicle platforms
- Proactively monitor hardware performance across the fleet, taking action to initiate individual vehicle repairs, adjust maintenance schedules and define software improvements toward enhancing the performance of our products
- Train, coach and develop colleagues in all directions as you develop a culture of serviceability throughout the company
- Branch out to learn from and support other subject matter experts on the team over time, and close gaps in technical areas or processes as required
- BSc, MSc, or PhD in a relevant engineering discipline
- 5+ years of experience with one or more of infotainment, display technologies, embedded Linux devices, vehicle to cloud, wireless connectivity and over the air (OTA) updates in the automotive or comparable industry, with a combination of theoretical and practical engineering experience
- Experience in data analytics and machine learning is a plus
- Demonstrated knowledge of foundational engineering topics (e.g., mechanics, physics, metallurgy, manufacturing methods, electronics, software, control systems) within job-related area
- Experience in automotive diagnostics development is strongly preferred
- Proven success in driving service and field requirements in a complex, design-focused environment
- Strong analytical and structured problem-solving capabilities and a knack for tackling problems that are unusual and complex
- Experience with C++, Python, SQL, Linux, or similar technologies at a basic/comprehension level is required, and at a level of synthesis is preferred
- Experience defining, launching, and driving strategic process design initiatives to establish and improve internal and external processes and operations
- Track record of working closely with cross-functional teams and stakeholders in a technology environment
- Appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to work effectively with internal and external partners with a wide range of backgrounds and expectations
- Capability to be extremely detail oriented with the inclination to stop and consider the big picture where necessary
- Strong written and communications skills
- Ability to travel as needed
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.