Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
This is who you are:
You are self-motivated, confident, highly skilled lawyer with superior interpersonal skills, write clearly and concisely, and thrive in challenging and fast-paced environments.
This is what you’ll do:
The Counsel, Privacy role will provide global data privacy legal counsel and services. The Counsel, Privacy role will report to the Associate General Counsel, Privacy. You will partner with business teams throughout Rivian to further the company’s data privacy legal objectives.
- Provide global legal support to business units and for key privacy operational tasks, which includes advising on new products and services, data governance activities, Privacy Impact Assessments/Data Protection Impact Assessments, and consumer data requests/data subject access requests.
- Serve as a company-wide data privacy subject matter expert and a trusted resource for internal business clients across Rivian.
- Draft employee, customer, and third-party privacy policies, disclosures, notices, and other consumer facing materials.
- Develop data privacy playbooks, contractual templates, and related resources for Rivian teams.
- Partner with product teams to provide highly responsive global data privacy counsel and further privacy by design principles and other best practices.
- Assist with developing and presenting data privacy training and other communications aimed at ensuring awareness, understanding and compliance with Rivian’s data privacy obligations.
- Provide transactional support for agreements involving data sharing or other data privacy legal impacts.
- Advise on state data breach notification laws and response activities.
- Advise on new and emerging legal and regulatory developments including identifying potential impacts on Rivian products and services.
- Work collaboratively with Data Security, Information Technology and other key stakeholders to further Rivian’s data privacy goals and objectives.
- Develop strong partnerships with internal business clients across Rivian to proactively address issues and further Rivian’s privacy objectives.
- Increase employee awareness, actively promote the importance of data privacy throughout the entire organization.
This is what you’ll need:
- 3-6+ years of legal experience focused on data privacy matters.
- J.D. degree from an ABA-approved law school or equivalent and an active member in good standing of the California Bar or eligible to practice as a California registered in-house counsel.
- Experience advising multinational, complex fast-growing global organizations, preferably involving technology and advanced mobility on core data privacy principles and laws.
- Experience drafting data privacy policies, notices, disclosures, and other external facing materials.
- Strong working knowledge of CCPA, GDPR and other key data privacy laws.
- Experience drafting, negotiating, and advising on technology transactions with an emphasis on data.
- Knowledge of evolving data privacy regulatory environment with experience spotting emerging trends and new and evolving issues.
- Strong relationship, problem-solving, and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team in a dynamic, rapidly changing workplace.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to successfully work with all levels of the organization.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- CIPP Certification a plus.
- Multilingual a plus.
- Strong analytical ability and organizational skills.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with MS Office 360 Suite.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high stress, team environment.
- Ability to travel, as required.
- A commitment to teamwork, collaboration, and professionalism.
This is where you’ll work:
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.