Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Execute and lead all 2nd shift mechanical vibration and shock tests for system and component level on electrodynamic vibration shakers at Rivian test facility and at third party laboratories as required
- Gather test requirements, collaborate with engineering design and validation team and define & develop mechanical vibration and shock tests including instrumentation, fixturing, test environment, etc
- Define and plan the use of accelerometers, strain gages and displacement sensors for testing of battery systems for automotive applications
- Configure test instrumentation and data acquisition for vibration testing
- Assist in design of fixtures for battery systems for vibration on electrodynamic shakers
- Lead sensor placement and installation, wire routing and post test equipment recovery activities.
- Collect, post process, store, transmit and present test all data from test.
- Secure required resources and equipment to support and keep testing on schedule.
- Assist with in-house vibration shaker and control equipment preventive maintenance, calibration and troubleshooting of equipment issues.
- Ensure all lab safety protocols are followed and maintain clean and organized work environment
- Automate tests where applicable
- Support FMEA efforts
- Support failure analysis activities during development, throughout production life and after-market.
- 4-year degree in mechanical or industrial technology, or closely related subject
- 1+ years vibration testing experience preferred
- Strong mechanical engineering durability and vibration fundamentals
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical test methods and equipment preferred
- Strong knowledge of use of various tools, lifting equipment, fixture design and fabrication methods preferred
- Experience with 3D CAD software design tools for fixture design
- Prior experience working with high voltage battery systems preferred
- Familiarity with statistical tools, DOEs and packages such as JMP / Minitab preferred
- Familiarity with DFSS or DRM tools (such as VOC, FMEA, 5-Why, 8-D)
- High energy, self-motivated and the ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Strong technical communication skills (written and verbal) and strong attention to detail.
- ~25% Domestic and/or International Travel
- Previous battery test experience a plus, but not required
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.