Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Facilities design team is an in-house design team that focuses on buildings that support our product. Our team is working towards building a portfolio of adventurous spaces across retail, workplace, production factories and more. As a building design team, we would like to align our design strategy with our company's sustainability vision. Rivian has signed a sustainability pledge to reach net zero carbon by 2040. With this pledge in motion, we seek to bring on the world's best talent in sustainable building design and tools.
This role is a multifaceted position that will focus on the development, growth and management of our design technology sustainability tools, systems, and workflows. We are looking for an experienced, hands-on sustainability design technology manager to lead and develop our building design sustainability program. You will help build analysis tools and workflows that align with Rivian’s climate pledge by driving sustainability goals across our portfolios to reduce our carbon footprint. We need someone who is strategic, data and evidence-driven, but also can deliver on active projects with solutions that are applicable today. This is not a research/conceptual role, but an advanced design technology role that will lead the industry in the approach to sustainability building design. This role is an individual contributor and does not have direct reports. You will work with in a small Design Technology team that supports all Rivian Facilities team. We look forward to speaking with you about Rivian and want to emphasize the importance of submitting both a resume and portfolio or work sample. We expect to see examples of applied sustainability on previous projects that resulted in verified energy savings and carbon footprint reduction.
- Implement and create sustainability Design Technology/BIM tools, workflows, and processes with team, including both internal and external partners.
- Innovate to create and deploy custom solutions for design team.
- Investigate/validate the latest environmental technology tools available, then test and deploy with our design and construction teams.
- Lead/coordinate office Sustainability tool training for internal and external partners, as it relates to guidelines and protocols that you will be involved in creating.
- Prepare presentations and demonstrations of sustainability tools and workflows to our executive team, stakeholders, and project teams.
- Maintain and develop sustainability content and templates.
- Research, develop and evangelize new design technology tools to maintain best-in-class service and efficiency from both internal and external partners.
- Document processes, procedures, and workflows.
- Work with the Design Technology Lead to collect Embodied Carbon project metrics for Rivian’s portfolio
- Lead our Design Technology initiative which focused on providing real solutions to offset carbon emissions on our portfolio.
- Work with the design team in early-stage concept design to develop material and geometric strategies that achieve sustainable design standards.
- Work across many projects of various types and provide a path toward sustainable development.
- Collaborate seamlessly with other BIM and Design Technology Managers towards a collective vision.
- Prepare comprehensive reporting via tableau or other data visualization platform to track and support our carbon footprint progress in our models.
- Build custom analysis tools through visual programming, coding, or customization of an existing software.
- Bachelor or Master degree in sustainable building, architecture, engineering, computational design, building science, BIM or directly related field.
- 4+ years of experience in a project-specific sustainability role of all phases of design and delivery.
- 4+ years of experience in Architecture, BIM, Design Technology, Technical Design, Sustainable Engineering consulting or similar
- Deep knowledge of Well, LEED, BREEAM, Passive House principles, Living Building Challenge are highly valued.
- Deep knowledge of Net Zero building Strategies and Carbon offsetting methods.
- Deep knowledge of and proven practical background in Autodesk Revit, Rhino, and other 3D software.
- Deep knowledge of energy modeling tools such as Ladybug, Honeybee, DIVA, COVE, Autodesk 360 Analysis Tools, etc.
- Deep knowledge of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) simulation tools such as OpenFoam.
- Experience working in Architecture, Engineering, Construction, or related industries, with detailed knowledge of project processes, milestones and deliverables.
- An articulate communicator able to convey design technology-related concepts to all levels of design and delivery professionals.
- A technologist at heart, someone who loves to explore solutions via technology and is vigorous when faced with complex problems.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to keep an audience interested in live Software demos.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion and to set priorities and manage competing demands.
- Comfortable in a startup/fast-paced and changing environments.
- Passion for personal development and gaining expertise in the discipline of sustainable building technology.
- Experience with architectural, engineering, virtual construction processes and workflows.
- Entrepreneurial spirit that embraces change and constantly seeks out new opportunities to improve system processes and protocols.
- Reliable, responsive, and positive work ethic with the highest degree of integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to develop learning material, deliver effective training and provide ongoing education and technological support to project teams.
- Punctual, able to adhere to deadlines, and have a strong work ethic.
- Experience with design visualization techniques and applications desired.
- Intermediate knowledge of Dynamo & Grasshopper preferred.
- Knowledge of Python, a plus.
- Knowledge of Autodesk Forge, a plus.
- Knowledge of CATIA, a plus.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.