Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Project Manager, Construction (Workplace) works closely with the broader Facilities team and multiple cross-functional partners, leading Facilities construction projects to ensure all financial, administrative, contractual, and technical aspects of multiple projects are being executed as required. Product types associated with this role may include, but are not limited to, office space and associated conference rooms, team rooms, cafes, restrooms, public and employee entrances, logistics facilities, amenity spaces, as well as complex research lab and development and other production-adjacent spaces.
The Project Manager, Construction reports to either the Manager, Construction or Senior Manager, Construction. This position oversees one or more projects of elevated complexity and is expected to fulfill the role of Project Owner and/or Senior Project Owner with direct responsibility for the successful delivery of Workplace project(s) within the Rivian Workplace portfolio. The Project Manager, Construction is a leader on the Workplace Construction team and actively collaborates with all project team members, stakeholders, end users, and leadership. It is expected that the Project Manager, Construction will be on-site and meet with the team multiple times per week, for all active projects under their responsibility.
In addition to project delivery responsibilities, the Project Manager, Construction is an expert in administering processes and may be called upon to assist in defining processes and procedures for the overall improvement of project delivery at Rivian.
- Include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide project oversight to ensure quality and have direct responsibility over the work product of the project team(s).
- Ensure all Workplace projects are in conformance with established schedule, budget, quality, and safety criteria always.
- Directly responsible for achieving the stated KPIs established at project kick-off through project completion and turn-over.
- Develop and implement strategies to mitigate risk and increase efficiency on individual projects.
- Strategically resolve project issues by coordinating solutions at the team level when possible. Prepare materials to escalate decisions when needed.
- Take initiative to create, recommend and implement project improvements.
- Oversee contractor and vendor contracts, including a thorough review of and input into RFP documents and the overall procurement process, ensuring contractors and vendors are delivering on contract requirements, ensuring timely administration of PO issuance, invoice payment, and contract closeout.
- Review project committed costs and process potential project change orders monthly or more often, to ensure budgets are being maintained and financial forecasts are being accurately represented and calculated, such that if a project budget challenge arises, the team has time to resolve them, ahead of a budget impacting the project.
- Regularly communicate project health (budget, schedule, quality).
- Support Rivian safety vision and ensure compliance with all safety rules, policies, and procedures by your team and contractors at the Plant.
- Provide mentorship to more junior-level project managers and members of adjacent teams.
- Participate in team building and promote cross-functional engagement to allow for our teams to integrate and get to know each other, beyond a simple working relationship.
- Include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop, maintain and manage detailed project cost tracker - partner with Project Controls.
- Lead or have direct input into PES/financial approvals.
- Process invoices, change orders, and other contractual cost mechanisms timely each month.
- Develop project schedule and perform regular reviews to confirm alignment with actual project progress - partner with Project Controls.
- Lead resolution of schedule risk/slippage.
- Manage contractor and vendor contracts, including ensuring contract deliverables are received and overseeing the quality of work performed - partner with CapEx and/or Purchasing.
- Coordinate fieldwork. Over-communicate logistics plans, particularly in active areas - partner with Operations.
- Verify fieldwork - partner with Design.
- Communicate project updates, risks, and action items - Lead or have direct input into Slack and FOS updates.
- Identify and engage all potential stakeholders.
- Exhibit advanced skillset in project delivery:
- Demonstrate a breadth of experience in complex Workplace project types and delivery methods.
- Possess the ability to prioritize between multiple responsibilities and project issues.
- Be a clear and concise communicator.
- Be knowledgeable in the theory, principles, and practices of construction.
- Demonstrate analytical skills, including the ability to negotiate with contractors and consultants.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities:
- Lead projects “the Rivian way,” providing professional influence on the work exemplifying respect, leadership, collaboration, commitment, vision, and teamwork.
- Exhibit sphere of influence across project teams, end users, and contractors.
- Be perceptive in determining when to zoom out and when to get into details.
- Support and provide a “customer service mentality” for multiple internal stakeholders effectively.
- Lead a project team in effectively solving problems and conflicts.
- Lead by example and over-deliver on commitments.
- Make objective decisions and provide direction to project teams.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for resolving challenges.
- Identify areas of opportunity for improvement and lead new workflow and process maps to alleviating pain points that the team is experiencing.
- Demonstrate organizational qualities:
- Ability to organize large amounts of information into digestible, verbal, and visual forms of communication.
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills to support decisions and recommendations, including the skills to communicate with leadership.
- Manage multiple projects and issues effectively.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
A bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, or construction management, is preferred, or a similar number of years of experience in the field; and a minimum of 5 years of experience managing construction projects of similar size and complexity.
The physical demands associated with the duties and responsibilities described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform this job. This includes the ability to spend extended hours walking construction sites and traveling to different project sites and offices.
The work environment described herein is representative of those an employee may encounter while performing this job. The Project Manager will be based at a regional office, visit job site locations, and attend meetings at multiple offices. Exposure to the outdoors, dust, high noise levels, and hot and cold weather is likely. The use of personal protective equipment is mandatory.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.