Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is looking for a Lead UX Designer to work closely with a world class team of UI/UX designers, researchers and engineers. You will design well-crafted and creative experiences that span multi-sensory touchpoints across our vehicles (inside and out), our smart accessory products, charging products, and digital interactions. At Rivian, these experiences are personalized and cloud-connected, and your designs will take full advantage of those platforms and services. You will be working closely with teams in other departments to be the glue that makes everything work seamlessly together. This role goes beyond screen-based interactions and will require you to think cross-functionally, incorporating touch, buttons & switches, lighting, audio, movement, and more. You will be instrumental in designing a vision for future products, bringing that vision to life through whatever medium or tool best fits the need, and providing (and maintaining) the painstakingly detailed documentation required to see those ideas through to production.
Together with a team that values positivity, humility and humor, your designs will push beyond what is available today. While this is a Lead UX Design role, ideal candidates will have a strong technical background to complement their creative spirit. You will further build on your expertise of interaction design, sketching, storyboarding, and digital and physical prototyping of your designs to communicate the product intent to the cross-functional teams.
- Design multi-modal experiences (audio, voice, visual, touch, lighting, movement, etc) that span touchpoints across our vehicles, charging products, accessories, and digital offerings that are consistent and promote adventure.
- Conceptualize how our products and services can take full advantage of curated, user-based personalization.
- Generate UX/UI design concepts, interaction flows, transitions, micro-interactions, digital and physical prototypes, videos, animations, storyboards, and sketches.
- Collaborate with system engineers to define production-ready vehicle experiences as well as their companion experiences in accessories, chargers, and digital platforms.
- Partner with researchers to gather consumer data, validate concepts, test prototypes and apply findings into your designs
- Work closely with other team members including Human Machine Interface, Product Managers/Owners, UI Designers and Engineers, receive critical feedback constructively and iterate to make the best possible product
- 7+ years of relevant work experience designing products that span digital and physical embodiments
- An online portfolio showcasing your design chops
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Design, HCI, Computer Science or equivalent strongly preferred
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex design challenges in order to support an informed, creative process
- Advanced proficiency in UX/UI design and prototyping tools, such as Figma and ProtoPie
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.