Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
As a Pre-construction Manager you will be responsible for defining project scope, estimating costs, bid review, and final cost review at a project level. A successful pre-construction manager has a well-defined project scope and understands any project unknowns. This individual will be able to evaluate costs thoroughly, have a detailed written scope document to ensure accurate contractor bids, and review bids in detail to confirm pricing accuracy. The Pre-construction Manager also understands project costs after construction is complete while working in conjunction with Design and Construction teams to ensure an on-time and on-budget project delivery.
- Develop expert level understanding of design standards for construction projects. Compile dollar per unit cost estimations for all relevant items within standards based on historical data. Analyze projects to pinpoint major cost drivers and communicate findings to Design and Construction teams. Provide suggestions for cost reduction.
- Proactively estimate projects based on unit cost estimates and unique site conditions. Reach out to local contractors as needed to complete estimates. Support Construction team from rough order of magnitude estimation through final project costing.
- Compile project-specific data from real estate, design, and construction teams in early phases of project development. Identify areas where information is lacking, and complete research as necessary to fill gaps.
- Write Scope of Work and Request for Proposal documents for contractor bid at 50% or 75% CD set. Write detailed basis of design documents for procurement purposes to ensure accurate bids. Support Procurement and Construction to send out RFPs as needed
- Review contractor bids in detail to ensure that all pricing is accurate and in Rivian standard format. Request subcontractor backup where needed to confirm costs and understand bid at a detailed level.
- Review construction complete pricing data (Base Bid plus all Change Orders) to ensure that all final information is in Rivian standard format ; reconcile any pricing anomalies with prior estimates and templates.
- Work with Pre-construction team members to incorporate completed project information (cost, schedule, lessons learned, etc.) into centralized estimating tools and Facilities Operating System (FOS).
- Build contractor database at a national level; reach out to general contractors and relevant subcontractors for early pre-qualification before project kick off.
- Engage, liaise, coordinate with the various stakeholders and departments for Facilities Construction projects (e.g. Workplace, Manufacturing, Retail, etc.); “The Customers”
- Learn, understand, and use all Rivian policies, procedures and software systems
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or a related subject and 5+ years of increasingly responsible construction experience (retail or high-end commercial preferred).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; must be able to communicate between internal Design, Real Estate, and Construction teams, as well as external contractors. Able to build and maintain strong working relationships
- Strong attention to detail; able to thoroughly review plans, contractor estimates, and scopes of work
- Capable of independent action with minimal direction ; can determine daily actions based on high level team goals
- Effective negotiation skills
- Thorough understanding of construction administration processes, including contracts, budgets, construction documents, change orders, schedules, RFIs, submittals, and material procurement.
- Proficient in the use of standard business software applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Proficient time management and organization skills
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office environment. However, there are occasions when duties require a presence on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
- Performance of the required duties will occasionally require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.