Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Sr. Manager, Decarbonization will play a key role in developing and driving the goals of the broader sustainability roadmaps and strategy. You will ensure that the entire Decarbonization team maximizes impact through sound yet quick strategic planning and by driving action to ensure we are acting as practitioners to rapidly solve problems. You’ll own the strategic roadmap and portfolio for the People, Process and Infrastructure that comprises all decarbonization initiatives (both Product and Energy). You will lead a team that partners across the entire organization to ensure alignment, drive projects, and set decarbonization timing/goals. You will develop and drive adoption of planning tools, templates, dashboards, scorecards and the like that enable aligned planning and cascading objectives. You’ll put in processes and programs to enable Rivian to actively monitor and measure execution, adapting and developing contingency plans. You’ll develop holistic data driven KPIs and will also develop and manage communication tools to share information and collaborate. Finally, you’ll jump in and “get your hands dirty” to conduct analysis studies and dig into project details when needed. Ultimate success is creating a system that can respond to dynamic and urgent needs while tracking to a long-term goal, all while being a “manager of choice” with exemplary leadership values respected throughout the organization.
- Develop or amend decarbonization strategies, set direction, and prioritize based on market requirements, reporting needs, upcoming compliance initiatives, and our business lifecycle
- Consult, leverage, and collaborate with technical experts to ensure innovation initiatives and forward-thinking technology is embedded into our strategic plans
- Utilize knowledge of carbon intensity and unit economics to drive prioritization and decision making
- Enable a culture of collaborative planning, contingency planning, and execution
- Conduct robust studies and analysis as required
- Manage direct and in-direct team member performance.
- Manage communications across a complex organization: messaging to broad stakeholder audiences, leadership and core project teams.
- Author project charters and build business cases.
- Monitor and lead all aspects of project schedules and budgets
- Manage project processes with service organizations (CapEx, Finance, HR, IT)
- Be a thought leader for Rivian’s sustainability initiatives. Ask Why. Be Curious.
- A passion for sustainability the environment
- 8+ years of experience working as a sustainability practitioner with progressive experience and demonstrated proficiency in sustainability leadership/program management in a global environment.
- 5+ years of experience leading and managing direct reports in an ambiguous, dynamic, or high growth environment
- Strong knowledge of decarbonization trends and topics (product level, energy efficiency, renewable energy generation, etc.)
- A keen understanding of strategic sustainability objectives trending in the marketplace
- Passion for and deep skills in creating communication tools, templates, presentations, newsletters, memos, and the like.
- Experience with strategic planning frameworks, processes, functional planning, and the like in an org with multiple functional areas.
- Implementation experience in a growth-oriented company
- Breadth of exposure and understanding of multiple company functions and how they connect (ex. Engineering, manufacturing, retail, service, supply chain)
- Ability to view sustainability through a multifaceted lens of customer service, revenue generation, and brand awareness
- Collaborative and influence others including peers, direct reports, and those ‘senior’
- Be a leader in resolving complex issues, risks and scope changes.
- Undergraduate degree in Sustainability, Business, Finance, Environmental Engineering or Science required
- MBA preferred
- Ability to travel up to 25% (post-pandemic)
- Role is located in Palo Alto, Los Angeles, Irvine, Chicago, or Normal IL
- Majority of the work week will be in-office (post-pandemic)
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.