Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
This is what you’ll do:
- Responsible to design, configure Linux and UNIX operating systems in a physical and virtualized environment
- Establish standard images for all end-user compute standards
- Formulate packages for software distribution and patching
- Lead testing practices to ensure software updates don’t negatively impact key business applications or user experience.
- Provide last line of defense for end-user compute support within IT
- Design, administer, and manage Desktop Engineering environments such as ConfigMgr (SCCM), Jamf (Casper), MBAM (Encryption-BitLocker) and Intune, Puppet, Chef
- Architect Modern Desktop Management strategy that meets the business needs of a modern and rapidly growing organization to deliver consistent, secure, and scalable end user services
- Manage enterprise systems and leverage your scripting skills to automate activities
- Develop and maintain End User Computing policies (including desktop group policies), standards, and procedures for hardware and software
- Develop positive relationships with the business and other functions involved in downstream technical processes
- Collaborate with members of the information security, network, and cloud teams to ensure images and support model meet user requirements and align with the overall IT technology portfolio, processes, and procedures
- Document standards and provide on-going training to more junior members of the deskside support and ServiceDesk teams
- Look to continually improve all aspects of the deskside engineering and end-user experience
This is what you’ll need:
- At least 5-7 years (or relative) in a Systems or Desktop Engineering role, where you learned the nuances of IT Administration
- Bachelor’s is preferred for this position
- In depth knowledge of Linux: RedHat, CentOS, Debian, etc.
- Solid knowledge of protocols such as DNS, HTTP, LDAP, SMTP and SNMP
- Additional Linux certifications (RHCT, RHCE and LPIC) will be considered an advantage
- Experience performing a variety of engineering and operational related assignments associated with SAN, NAS and Storage operations, backup operations, and virtualization software such as VMware’s vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V on a set of enterprise-level IT systems.
- Experiience with Cloude technologies such as (Red Hat, SuSE, OpenShift, Amazon Web Services, Mesos, Azure/Azure pack)
- Familiarity with Agile, DevOps practices and ITIL processes
- 3 to 5 years of scripting experience such as Python, Ruby, Perl, or other automation tools
- Experience installing, configuring and maintain services such as Bind, Apache, MySQL, nginx, etc.
- Strong grasp on configuration management tools, such as Puppet and Chef
- Experience with: Active Directory, Group Policy, Application and Desktop Virtualization (VDIs), Mobile Device and Applications Management (MDM/MAM), DNS, NTP, DHCP, LDAP, wired and wireless networking
- Familiar with best practices and techniques to maintain and enahcne information security
- Expertise in complex software configuration for common and specialized software
- Experience in monitoring End User Computing operations and providing metrics
- Tech Savvy – Ability and passion for learning new technology and tools
- Passion for Customer Support – A drive to help end users get what they need to do their jobs the best they can. A sense of satisfaction from helping end users get what they need in a timely manner
- Ability to communicate at all levels within the organization – Business Stakeholders, Senior Managers and C-Level Execs
- Prioritization Skills – The ability to analyze support requests, and prioritize them based on impact
- Discipline – The discipline to actively manage help desk tickets and internal IT tasks, without getting distracted by email, chat or other adhoc communication
- A Teacher – Able to teach end users about IT technologies or solutions to their issues in an easy to understand way
- Self-Starter – The ability to actively look for effective tasks to complete in times of low tickets
This is where you’ll work:
Department: IT Infrastructure and Enterprise Applications
Location: Irvine and Palo Alto
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.