Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Senior Manager-Vehicle Access
The Vehicle Access System is a system of several hardware and software components that work together to provide experiences in frequent and critical ways people interact with our vehicles. This role involves overseeing software systems on several processors, radios, and working very closely with other teams and software systems to ensure these experiences are great for our customers.
As a Senior Software Engineering Manager in Vehicle Access software team, you are primarily responsible for design, implement, test and ship high-quality software on time for multiple programs. In this role you will:
- Lead software architecture, design and with highly cross-functional teams across multiple organizations in an open and collaborative manner while following best software engineering practices.
- Ownership of end-to-end Vehicle Access experiences, taking a keen interest in solidifying requirements, and empowering the success of all teams enabling these experiences.
- Collaborate with project and program managers, technical leads and developers in establishing agile processes that suits the team and program needs.
- Work closely with cross-functional stakeholders like hardware, software, test and vendors in identifying dependencies and effectively removing bottlenecks.
- Anticipate and identify risks, develop actionable mitigation strategies that sets up the team and collective efforts for success.
- Provide strong leadership by reframing problems when teams are faced with ambiguity, obstacles/deadlocks and steer them towards solving prioritized problems.
- Expertly manage stakeholder expectations for both technical and non-technical issues, when the team encounters challenging issues or obstacles.
- Passionate about building connected systems/solutions that help accelerating the world transition to sustainable transportation solutions.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Engineering, Electrical engineering or other related technical fields.
- 5+ years of experience in hands-on engineering leadership roles. Preferably, direct experience with launching products/solutions.
- 3+ years of C/C++ software development experience with cloud-facing embedded systems or networked products.
- Excellent critical thinking and experienced in managing trade-offs when defining solutions.
- Technical knowledge of software architecture for RTOS, low-power and wireless software systems.
- Proven leader who can take full ownership with a proactive
- Excellent communication, organization, collaborative and diplomacy skills.
- You are hands-on engineer who can build, lead and manage a team of strong software, test and systems engineers.
- You have worked on taking wireless software or consumer electronic products from concept through production and iterative software releases.
- Experience with one or more of these wireless technologies in a production environment – BLE, 802.15.4, UWB and NFC.
- Prior experience with IoT, automotive, or low-power wireless mesh networks.
- Strong technical competence in Bluetooth Low Energy and low-power embedded systems.
- Expert knowledge in developing RTOS applications.
- Experience with ARM Cortex-M class micro controllers.
- Familiarity with computer security concepts (mutual authentication, public/private key encryption).
- 5 + years developing firmware in C and/or C++.
- Experience with serial protocols such as SPI, I2C, UART, etc.
- BS/MS in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent field.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.