Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
As Sensor Fusion SW Manager, you will lead a team of talented engineers to develop and bring to production SW algorithms using both early and late sensor fusion that directly impact safety and user experience for Rivian’s customers. The Sensor Fusion team is responsible for creating a real-time virtual representation of the local environment around the vehicle including objects, obstacles, lanes, and drivable space. The team is responsible for developing proof of concepts, implementing these in a rapid prototyping environment, supporting deployment to the production platform, defining KPIs, reporting metrics, verify performance, and supporting functional safety certification. The ideal candidate would have worked with a variety of sensors on the entire sensor fusion stack including clustering, association, tracking, classification, and track management with experience bringing those features to production.
- Set technical direction for your team in conjunction with senior leadership
- Manage task assignments and schedules for team members across multiple vehicle programs
- Grow the team by attracting and hiring exceptional talent
- Define KPIs and internal metrics to verify that algorithms meet feature requirements and safety goals
- Research, evaluate, and support sourcing efforts for sensors on future vehicle programs
- Execute Agile processes for SW development
- Lead code reviews and certify that code meets ISO26262 and SOTIF requirements
- Work closely with cross-functional stakeholders in systems, controls, simulation, embedded platform, hardware, and test validation teams to define architecture, identify dependencies, and remove bottlenecks
- Provide mentorship, technical guidance, and plan career growth for members of your team
- MS. or Ph.D. in Electrical/Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering, Robotics, Mechatronics or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in Sensor Fusion, Perception, and/or Estimation Theory
- 1+ years of Technical/Functional Management experience
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Data Association and Multi-Hypothesis Tracking
- Stochastic Estimation, Bayesian Estimation, EKF and/or Particle Filters
- Clustering Analysis
- Machine learning and Data Mining to find relationships in large amounts of data
- Early and Late Sensor Fusion Architectures
- Asynchronous Systems
- C/C++ programming experience
- Hands-on experience with various sensors including radars, LiDAR, cameras, USS, and GNSS
- Ability to work in a fast-paced development environment
- Good team player with great communication skills
- Passionately motivated to take ideas from R&D to production
- Knowledge of recent advancements in sensor technology and perception algorithms involving sensor fusion, multi-object detection, classification, and tracking
- Proven track record building a team of high performing engineers
- Prototyping real-time applications
- Software development for safety critical systems (ISO 26262)
- Verification processes: EV/DV, unit tests, static code and code coverage analyses, SIL/HIL, regression testing
- ROS, DDS, or similar middleware
- Embedded SW development and optimization
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.