Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is looking for a Senior UX Designer to work with a world class team of UI/UX designers, researchers and engineers to deliver user-centered in-vehicle infotainment solutions to enable exciting new adventures and safely explore the world around us. This role will be shaping the core user experience across our Driver, Center, & Rear Displays and will focus on systems level OS framework design in addition to application design. You will be apart of a team creating the scaffolding that establishes structure, logic and coherency to how our drivers and passengers intuitively move about the experience. Additionally you’ll be defining the detailed features level UX functionality and how that works within it’s context on-screen. This includes first surface areas, applications, vehicle specific controls & settings, services, etc.
Together with a team that values positivity, humility and humor, your designs will push beyond what is available today. While this is a senior UX design role, ideal candidates will have a strong technical background to complement their creative spirit. In this role, you will further build on your expertise of interaction & usability patterns, wireframing, visual fidelity & prototyping your designs to communicate the product intent to the cross-functional teams.
- Design multi-modal experiences (audio, visual, touch, haptics) that span the system that are designed for drivers and passengers to easily perform their actions safely and effectively while creating muscle memory and repeatablility.
- Generate design concepts, flows, wireframes, transitions, micro-interactions and prototypes
- Collaborate with system engineers to define vehicle driving behavior and how it relates to the driver experience
- Partner with researchers to gather consumer data, validate concepts, test prototypes and apply findings into you designs
- Work closely with other team members including HMI, Product Managers, UI Designers and Engineers, receive critical feedback and iterate to make the best possible product
- 5+ years of relevant work experience designing touch, voice, in-vehicle or transportation solutions
- An online portfolio showcasing your design chops
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Design, HCI, Computer Science or equivalent
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex design challenges in order to support an informed, creative process
- Advanced proficiency in design and prototyping tools, such as Figma and ProtoPie
- Bonus points for 3D prototyping skills in After Effects, Blender or similar tools
- Demonstrate a firm grasp of elegant and engaging aesthetics that feed magical user experiences
- Comfortable with high paced design/eng environments
- Willingness to dive into a project with a blank slate and broad mindset
- Able to have a spirited & articulated debate with fellow designers and cross-functional members
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.