Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Manage and conduct Mechanical and electro-mechanical design in 3D CAD tool, including 3D modeling and 2D drawings.
- Participate and be responsible for battery component and system DFMEAs.
- Work with Rivian CAE team to define and submit simulation requests as needed for design validation.
- Work with Rivian Validation team to write and track DVP&R from component requirements and DFMEA
- Work with supply chain to quote, assess and source prototype and production suppliers.
- Work with dimensional and PLM team ensure drafting, tolerance analysis, and GD&T are completed and approved.
- Work with supply chain, quality and supplier to ensure the timely delivery of battery system components to vehicle program timing.
- Cross functional collaboration with variety of individuals and teams including battery integration, vehicle integration, BMS, manufacturing, reliability engineering, test and validation, supplier quality, supply chain, finance, and program management.
- Support prototype builds to execute development testing and support development vehicle program.
- Work with suppliers on component DFM, tooling maturity, delivery timing, and PPAP for components
- Work with Rivian manufacturing team on component DFA to improve manufacturability
- Engage in documentation and release process in the PLM system.
- Leading or heavily engage in root cause analysis of failures, using Rivian Practical Problem-Solving procedure, internal failure analysis lab and outside labs.
- BSME with 3+ years of experience or MSME with 1+ years of experience in automotive industry, consumer electronic, power electronic, electronic packaging, aviation, or aerospace industry.
- Proficiency in at least one 3D CAD software, deep understanding of GD&T and stack up analysis.
- Strong background and understanding of thermodynamics, heat transfer and mechanics of materials, and fluency in their basic calculations and formulas.
- Familiar with electrical engineering basics concepts and circuit analysis. (as much as a mechanical engineer should know)
- Experience with design for the following manufacturing methods: injection molding, forming/stamping, casting, extrusion, welding/brazing, plating, heat treating, electrical insulators and conductors, thermal interfaces, adhesive and bonding.
- Experience with engineering release process, change request, and PLM interface.
- Proficiency in CATIA V6 (3Dx) and Enovia.
- Familiar with busbars, cable harness, fuses.
- Understanding of battery system architectures, system controls and HV battery safety requirements.
- Experience with automotive powertrain requirements, load cases, and standards.
- Strong oral and written communication for supplier engagement, program timing, and project management.
- Experience with automotive DVP&R cycle, requirements management, and issue tracking – JIRA, JAMA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.