Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
This is what you’ll do:
- Work on battery thermal system architecture design, development and validation
- Develop predictive CAE tool for battery and power electronics, including thermal-fluids and multiphysic modeling
- Develop test plans to correlate simulation models with real world applications
- Work with suppliers on component selection and sizing, component and subsystem level DVP&R
- Participate in DFMEAs, test plan creation and risk assessments
- Work on tradeoffs between model complexity and computational cost
- Work on next generation thermal system designs and continuous improvement of inhouse simulation techniques for the stationary energy storage team
This is what you’ll need:
- Fluids and thermal background with working knowledge of thermal components
- Skilled in simulation of complex assemblies utilizing state of the art simulation tools such as StarCCM+, ANSYS Fluent, Openfoam
- 1D simulation experience (GT-SUITE, Matlab Simulink)
- Design, packaging and CAD modeling skills is a plus (Catia, Solidworks, Creo)
- Data processing and scripting skills utilizing Python
- Experience with designing thermal systems for electrical systems and batteries is a plus
- 0-2 years industry experience
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering or other relevant discipline
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Stationary Energy Storage
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.