Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Responsible for providing guidance to the product development and design teams on the right material choices for components both visible and unseen.
- Responsible for identifying and setting key performance and durability attributes for interior soft trim, including rolled goods such as cloth, polymeric films, and other coverstock materials.
- Responsible for identifying and setting key performance and durability attributes for interior trim, painted and unpainted.
- Responsible for setting VOC and odor targets for interior materials.
- Work closely with the Rivian Central Materials team for collaboration and standardization across other Rivian departments.
- Lead Advanced materials development with a focus on sustainability initiatives.
- Conduct material characterization to input and maintain Rivian Materials Database.
- Author Materials Standards documents and qualify suppliers for production requisites on all visible trim parts.
- Provide polymer materials modeling inputs for virtual analyses (CAE, Durability and other Multi-physics simulations).
- Work in conjunction with Supplier Quality Engineering on supplier DFMEA and Purchasing teams for product costing.
- S/M.S./Ph.D. in Materials Science/Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or Polymer Sciences is preferred
- 10+ years practical experience directly related to Automotive plastics, polymeric films, and composites formulation and processing
- Proven experience with handling multiple complex projects simultaneously
- First-class communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively across multiple sites & time zones to a wide range of audiences
- A demonstrated ability to solve problems using a first-principle physics based approach
- Very organized and detail oriented in documentation, report writing, and data cross functional data management
- An eagerness to work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment
- Sound commercial and financial awareness
- Microsoft Office suite proficiency
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist you with your job search or application for employment, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.