Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Handle HV battery system engineering deliverables for vehicle program:
- Execute systems design process to analyze vehicle, powertrain, and end-user specifications to derive sub-system requirements and develop requirements specifications & requirements verification traceability
- Work through battery product architecture development for new programs
- Process the development of functional safety-specific features and functions to comply with necessary automotive standards such as ISO-26262 & SAE specifications
- Communicate with engineers to update/modify documentation to maintain accurate representation of deliverables; Use tracking tools such as Confluence and JIRA to capture changes
- Conduct analysis of technical, logistical and schedule risks associated with various electrical and software solutions
- Coordinate & work with engineers across multiple disciplines to ensure timely completion of assigned tasks:
- Must be able to adapt and work within dynamic development timelines, with accelerated hardware production timelines, and software release cadence
- Understanding of model-based design (MATLAB/Simulink controls) is crucial; as well as C-programming for embedded automotive systems
- Experience with either development or testing using MATLAB/Simulink and C-programming is a plus
- Holistic understanding of thermal and electrical interdependence in battery pack design; Capable of 1-D modeling analysis for the system all the way down to single components
- Detailed understanding of software interaction between the battery management system & the rest of vehicle; familiar with battery measurement and controls architecture
- Previous experience with DFMEA and leading the design review processes
- Get involved with hands-on development:
- Quickly transition to a variety of engineering discipline work, from high-level cross sub-system projects to specific component focus, depending on need of the team and stage of development/ production
- Display a positive attitude and motivation to perform whatever tasks necessary to get the job done
- Collaborate with technicians & mechanics to determine solutions to observed issues
- Display aptitude with a variety of engineering tools such as CAN loggers, software debuggers, oscilloscopes, multi-meters, and HV test equipment
- Show a healthy respect for high voltage safety and the appropriate safety processes
- 3+ years of work experience in Battery and/or Automotive industries
- At least a bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline
- Previous experience with battery systems design, or high-voltage battery systems
- Strong knowledge of battery behavior
- Previous experience in automotive product development environments
- Creating the requirements from the ground up, using engineering analysis
- Experience with model-based design; creating control systems and models with MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience with programming and embedded systems; familiar with basic software development and C programming
- Excellent problem-solving skills; reliant on core engineering principles and common sense
- Strong communication, multitasking, and interpersonal skills, both in presentation and technical writing
- Versed in software development, hardware testing, and production procurement timelines
- Versed with automated requirements management tools (e.g. JAMA, Doors, etc.)
- Issue tracking tools (Jira, Bugzilla, etc.)
- Previous experience with design according to ISO 26262 with focus on functional safety
- Previous experience with product launches and production schedules
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.