Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Facilities Design team is Rivian’s in-house design team focused on the physical touchpoints of the brand - from workplace to retail & production, and everything in-between. Our spaces are a manifestation of our culture and brand: Adventurous – ever curious, sparking moments that awe and delight. Innovation - where attaining perfection is not the goal but the pursuit of it is. Stewardship – creating a better future for our kids’ kids’ kids.
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on leader to manage and develop our design sustainability and stewardship programs. You will help build initiatives that align with Rivian’s climate pledge by driving sustainability goals across our portfolios to reduce our carbon footprint; while also, considering the people who work and play within those spaces. We want someone who is not only a strategist who can zoom out and think big picture; but also, someone who has a passion for delivery and execution – someone who can tangibly map out the next steps.
- Build and implement a sustainability design strategy that targets the Climate Pledge of Net Zero Carbon by 2040
- Prepare presentations and playbooks that can guide our executive team, stakeholders, and project teams on the best way to roll out initiatives
- Work with stakeholders and design teams to establish sustainable design and project goals, employing feasibility analysis or other methods to facilitate goal setting
- Develop sustainability metrics and processes to track and drive progress from project inception through occupancy
- Prepare comprehensive reporting to track and support our carbon footprint progress
- Partner with the Finance and Construction teams in budget development exercises related to sustainability practices, product, and materials.
- Provide sustainable design guidance and technical support with project design teams, participating in project meetings when necessary
- Work with the BIM team in the integration of Revit, IES, energy modeling, daylighting and other technical analysis where needed
- Keep a pulse on current and emerging technologies, tools, trends, and methods.
- Research on environmentally preferred alternative materials and sustainable strategies for building design, construction and operation.
- Identify alternative sustainable materials with the Standards and Prototypes team
- Work with the Wellness and Belonging teams to implement social wellbeing initiatives are implemented
- Provide oversight with the work of external consultants providing third party certifications, energy analysis, life cycle analysis, carbon accounting and other relevant sustainability scopes of work engaged by project teams
- Develop Request for Proposals for sustainability consultants and manage contracting for design teams
- 6+ years of post-graduate experience in a similar role
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in sustainable building, architecture, engineering, interiors or related field, or directly related field strongly preferred
- Knowledge of Well, LEED, BREEAM, Living Building Challenge are highly valued. LEED Accreditation a plus.
- Proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong portfolio demonstrating sustainable architecture and design experience
- Strong knowledge of building systems
- Resourceful, innovative and proactive and have the ability to work in a team environment, under tight deadlines
- It’s essential you have a can-do attitude and willingness to dive into a varied set of tasks
- Willingness to travel at a time when it’s safe to do so (post pandemic)
- Ability to perform basic technical analysis (i.e. energy and daylighting simulation, specification writing, materials selection, cost and life cycle studies, etc.)
- Ability to create and successfully implement new programs
- Ability to collect data from multiple sources and compile the information in a visually compelling and cohesive story
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist you with your job search or application for employment, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.