Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Develop test plans to validate mechanical components and subsystems within EV battery packs to be used for Rivan’s vehicle platforms
- Develop methods to diagnose and characterize mechanical or electrical behaviors of battery pack components
- Collaborate with design engineers to create a detailed design validation plan that characterizes component performance and assess performance degradation throughout life
- Determine appropriate data acquisition, instrumentation and sensors required to successfully ensure test meets its objective
- Automate tests where applicable
- Collaborate with design engineers to generate and execute detailed test plans and results reports in a timely manner
- Develop, maintain, and enhance technical memory documents, templates, and tracking of BoD, BoM, CTS, CTR, DFMEA, DVP, ADV Toolbox, Drawing Templates, and Lessons Learned
- Support design reviews for Product Development & Change Management, Key Stakeholder Reviews, Component Technical Reviews and Supplier Technical Reviews
- Support FMEA efforts (design and process)
- Support root cause failure analysis activities during development, throughout production life and after-market
- Speak up for safety issues and read across activities for actions and closures
- Be technical lead and provide direction to lab personnel (both in house and outside) in setting up and executing tests
- Work with cross functional test teams to align test conditions and test methods for software evaluation, etc where applicable
- Participate in Bill of Design assessments, CTS, DFMEA, PFMEA, DVP&R, CTR, etc.
- Provide feedback related to battery failure modes discovered in testing to Development/Validation Engineers, Design Engineers
- Provide analysis from data collected during testing
- Support hardware integration related to interfacing hardware and connection issues
- Design and modify fixtures and instrumentation for testing
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, or related relevant field
- Minimum 3 years test or validation experience in automotive or related relevant field
- Strong knowledge and experience working with a wide range of lab equipment including but not limited to
- Data acquisition systems, power supplies, electronic loads, battery cyclers, oscilloscopes
- Load cells, strain gages, pressure transducers, LVDTs, thermocouples, thermistors, flow meters, Hygrometers
- Vibration test systems, tensile test systems, fatigue analysis tools, leak checkers.
- A strong first-principles background in at least one of the following core disciplines.
- Dynamics / statics and mechanical structures
- Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer
- Fluid Mechanics
- Controls or Mechatronics
- Demonstrated knowledge of test equipment and test methods.
- Demonstrated knowledge of battery pack, module and cell design preferred.
- Knowledge of reliability engineering principles preferred
- Experience with configuring and testing battery management circuits / systems.
- A wide range of experience with automotive test tools such as LabView, Vector CANoe/CANape, Tracetronic ECU-Test, Vehicle SPI preferred
- Experience working with high voltage systems preferred
- Familiarity with statistical tools, DOEs, DFSS or DRM tools (such as VOC, FMEA, 5-Why, 8-D)
- Familiarity in industry battery abuse testing guidelines, USABC, SAE, OEM, GBT, preferred.
- Understanding of Electric Vehicle safety, including FMVSS
- High energy and self-motivated
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Strong technical communication skills (written and verbal)
- ~20% Domestic and/or International Travel
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist you with your job search or application for employment, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.