Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. This position is in the beating heart of where Rivian vehicles are made – the main production facility in Normal, IL. As an Engineer in the Normal Failure Analysis team, you will play a key role in generating insight through failure analysis investigations for all Rivian products from the vehicle to component level.
- The FA Engineer – NDT & CT will be Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the FA Lab in 3D CT scanning and 2D X-Ray. This person will be responsible for promoting these services within the plant to the engineering leaders and be their main person of contact for these services.
- The FA Engineer will use a 3D CT Scanning, 2D X-Ray and other Non-Destructive Testing equipment to support failure analysis Lab investigations and internal customers.
- Operation of CT scanner, X-Ray and various NDT laboratory equipment (specific instrument training will be provided) to generate and process data in support of failure analysis and manufacturing process development activities.
- Preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment on a scheduled basis to ensure maximum uptime and operability of the equipment.
- Design and create fixtures for scanning geometry complex parts.
- Prepare Standard Operation Procedures (SOP) and develop techniques to address inspection needs.
- Produce clear and concise reports to summarize data collected and be able to clearly present this to internal customers, other engineering teams, FA lab engineers and scientists.
- Minimum B. Sc. in engineering or other related field with 3+ years relevant industry experience.
- Solid hands on experience with 2D X-ray and 3D CT scanning of parts.
- Experience with Dye Penetrant / UV Magnetic Particle testing is a big plus.
- Experience working in a laboratory environment, including the handling and safe working practices associated with hazardous chemicals. Must be very safety conscious and uphold lab safety guidelines.
- Experience working with basic machine shop tools such as band saw, drill press, belt sander, lathe, milling machine, etc.
- A desire to create a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team and company culture is a must!
- Knowledge of and hands on experience with the following:
- Experience in metallurgical sample preparation - cross sectioning, grinding, polishing and etching (including handling hazardous chemicals and mixing etchant recipes).
- Hardness / Micro Hardness testing.
- Experience working with CAD.
- Coordinate measurement machine (CMM).
- Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM).
- X-ray fluorescence (XRF) for positive materials identification of metallic alloys (data generation).
- Experience in the automotive industry is a big plus.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.