Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
You will be a critical member of and leader on the Prototype and Special Projects Team and will work in partnership with our build and engineering teams. You will report to the Director of Prototype and Special Projects. The team you are joining is responsible for engineering, designing and building advanced concept properties, prototypes, mules, show vehicles, as well as a variety other projects. The Team is also responsible for supporting public relations, marketing and internal events where these early development vehicles are utilized. As a Project Engineering Lead you will responsible for delivery of key projects and will own the timeline, design, build and delivery of the project. You will utilize the team for support and will also contribute as an engineer, designer and program manager as required.
- Own the projects that you lead – for these projects you are the head engineer responsible for delivery
- Work closely with the Prototype & Special Projects Engineering and Build teams as well as all other teams at Rivian
- Create timelines, resource plans and requirements that are in line with project needs
- Integrate with teams requesting project work to align on inputs and deliverables
- Lead engineering, design and build support through project completion
- Lead meetings to gather and disseminate information on projects, as necessary
- Recommend vendors, materials and processes to improve department quality and efficiency
- Champion creativity in problem solving and execution
- Coach teammates and develop their abilities through project work
- Work in JIRA to track tasks and drive on time completion
- Manage deadlines with suppliers and internal teams
- Utilize your understanding of production, prototyping, and fabrication process and the time, cost, and quality tradeoffs to support the function and growth of the team
- Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering or Equivalent
- 10+ years of hands-on engineering experience
- Leadership required – management experience not necessary
- Need to be organized and flexible to changing scope and project priority changed
- Knowledgeable in automotive components and their function within a vehicle
- Open mindset and eager attitude to solve problems
- An understanding of production, prototyping, and fabrication process and the time, cost, and quality tradeoffs
- Prior purchasing experience a plus but not required
- Needs to be flexible to working hour, travel and daily project changes
- The ability to learn, think creatively, solve problems, and work hard
- Travel Requirements of Position
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.