Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
- Develop 3D routing paths for the electrical harnesses in the vehicle environment using CATIA v6 software
- Continuously improve Rivian best practices for Harness Assembly guidelines and review with ESS Manager/ Lead to revise the guidelines for approval
- Identify all device connections for each harness family and design routes in CATIA v6 considering mechanical, electrical, environmental variables, establishing 110% bundle diameters regardless of the state of device transmittal maturity, and define Device ID instances in 3D, collaborating with ESS Systems Engineers
- Manage pre-sourcing, requesting relative harness sub-components, supporting 2D/3D librarians for information gathering from Tier1 / Tier2 suppliers
- Create device, inline, and/or specialty cable topologies for system engineering support from a packaging perspective
- Lead development of bespoke, provisional harness sub-components such as, grommets, channels, unique connectors, holding weekly design reviews with suppliers for relative components
- Support ESS DRE Leads when authoring RFI / RFQs, definition of SoW(s) and/or SoR(s), support supplier technical reviews and support definition of the most practical supplier for each program providing input for cost, quality, and responsiveness
- Prepare PLM release process in Enovia (eBOM), by creating component PN(s), including PN(s) required for tech and packaging variants, utilizing Risk Assessment Tooling (RAT) to establish safety critical and homologation aspects of each releasable component
- Construct harness family complexity, defining manufacturing sales codes strings by PN, including the fabrication of specific sales codes not defined in the product plan to support harness complexity
- Ensure the definition of piece-price, prototype/production tooling costs, mass, and all other administrative specifications are defined prior to release in Enovia (eBOM)
- Evaluate the state of the design in accordance with program mass, piece-price, and prototype/production tooling targets and harmonize them with Rivian Gateway objectives, by proposing / communicating through an RoR Matrix
- Author and illustrate performance test requirements to ensure component DVP&R, and that all vehicle level tests are completed prior to part warrant (e.g. USCAR-21, humidity/accelerated aging/thermal shock, submersion, dynamic fatigue cycling, and short-circuit / over-current analysis)
- Lead internal and supplier design reviews of all assigned harness families ensuring closure of ALL issues, identifying design failure modes, supporting functional safety requirements, and developing and ensuring completion of all related component and vehicle level DVP&R items
- Support Rivian Vehicle Assembly and Tier1 builds, including on-site support for rapid design and rework for prototype / pre-production mule, electrical/mechanical static buck(s), and verification phases
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Electrical, or related engineering disciplines
- 6+ years of automotive or aerospace harness assembly design and release experience
- A current, industry standard knowledge of design verification testing required for various Harness Assemblies
- Experience / understanding with harness sub-components, plastic-injection molding, rapid proto-harnessing sub-assembly, and form-board production assembly processes
- Knowledge and hands-on experience and willingness to build rapid prototypes, including procurement of components
- Effective ability to select appropriate inlines for 3D packaging in early phases with knowledge to estimate bundle diameters
- Effective ability to select appropriate coverings for protection against abrasion / serrations / BSR/NVH / EMI, that also accommodate harness geometries for packaging, understanding cost / design differentials
- Effective ability to select appropriate retainers with consideration of harness and vehicle DFM guidelines
- Effective ability to package harness in 3D virtual environment, understanding non-compliant ergonomics, tach-times, and vehicle assembly sequencing
- Experience packaging harnesses considering communication protocol circuits such as, CAN / Lin / Base T-1000 / video, lighting signals, etc
- Knowledge of, through experience packaging and testing dynamic harness conditions
- 3D CAD experience with CATIA v5/v6, NX, SolidWorks, or etc.
- 2D CAD experience with AutoCAD, MentorGraphics, Arcadia, or etc.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.