Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian’s Connectivity software team is responsible for connecting our vehicles and products to web, cloud and personal devices using a combination of Cellular, GPS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, UWB and NFC technologies. The team is chartered to develop full software stack that enables syncing rich data between vehicles and cloud.
As a Software Engineering Manager in Connectivity SW team, you are primarily responsible for design, implement, test and ship high-quality software on time for multiple programs. In this role you will
- Fully own the software stack for cloud connectivity and syncing data between vehicle and cloud
- Serve multiple software teams within Rivian software organization in fully utilizing this software stack
- Define features and solutions related to syncing data between vehicle systems and cloud
- Lead software architecture, design and code reviews with cross-functional teams in an open and collaborative manner while following best software engineering practices
- Plan, create and maintain complex software schedules for multiple programs
- Create and execute work streams for Agile SW development teams based on program needs
- Collaborate with project and program managers, technical leads and developers in establishing agile processes that suits the team and programs needs
- Work closely with cross-functional stakeholders like Hardware, SW, Test and vendors in identifying dependencies and effectively removing bottlenecks
- Anticipate and identify risks, develop actionable mitigation strategies that sets up the team for success
- Provide strong leadership by reframing problems when the team is faced with ambiguity, obstacles/deadlocks and steer them towards solving prioritized problems
- Expertly manage stakeholder expectations for both technical and non-technical issues, when the team encounters challenging issues or obstacles
- Take keen interest in product requirements and pay close attention to details when planning projects
- Passionate about building connected systems/solutions that help accelerating the world transition to sustainable transportation solutions
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Engineering, Electrical engineering or other related technical fields
- 5+ years of experience in hands-on engineering leadership roles. Preferably, direct experience with launching products/solutions
- 3+ years of C/C++ software development experience with cloud-facing embedded systems or networked products
- Excellent critical thinking and experienced in managing trade-offs when defining solutions
- Technical knowledge of software architectures for Linux based embedded systems and electronic hardware
- Extensive knowledgeable about web, protocols, networking data security and privacy
- Proven leader who can take full ownership with proactive attitude
- Excellent communication, organization and collaborative skills
- You are hands-on engineer who can build, lead and manage a team of strong software, test and systems engineers
- You have worked on taking wireless software or consumer electronic products from concept through final releases
- Good knowledge of one or more of these wireless technologies - LTE, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Ethernet or GPS
- Prior experience with IoT, automotive, telematics or fleet management products or connected services
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.