Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
You will be responsible for the design and development of prototype vehicles that support our progress towards production. Responsible for mechanical and/or electrical design feasibility consults, initial package layout & scheme modeling, design of complete prototype systems that approximate production design, and integration and requirement balance of systems on the prototype vehicles. The candidate will liaise with a range of vehicle systems with different needs ranging from full-service supply to in-house make to print. Each requiring different supporting roles and a deep understanding of various CAD processes, design methods, and prototype-level manufacturing techniques. You will be expected to deliver to program milestones. Support development and completion of all requirements, and be the owner of several components across the vehicle.
- Lead collaborative development of production-approximating content, including interfacing with body engineering, studio design, customer experience teams, chassis design, LVE design, HV design, and powertrain/thermal teams
- Responsible for system/component designs required by prototype development program lifecycle(s), including concept design, supplier engagement, BOM management, systems requirements, simulation analysis, prototyping builds, validation testing, and production support
- Supporting the development of best practices for prototype design and engineering department
- Support problem solving activities
- Develop & specify CAD models or drawings considering all inputs from parts suppliers, technicians, assembly processes, and dimensional management studies
- Use various CAD disciplines to arrive at functional, buildable prototype parts, including; part, surfacing, routing, and brake-form sheet metal
- Coordinate design work with input from in-house manufacturing teams to ensure manufacturability of prototype designs
- Developing and managing your part system, subsystem, and component information through the Enovia PLM to Catia V6 environment
- Be a champion of good, fundamental design in the prototype department, and across all development of our vehicles
- Knowledge of automotive design and development processes, system requirements, and general engineering best practices
- The candidate should have a diverse knowledge base of prototype manufacturing methods and fixturing
- Significant CAD design experience with component packaging, castings-approximation and machining’s design, sheet metal design with flat developments, and welding design and fixturing – Catia experience preferred
- An eagerness to work cross-functionally in a dynamic environment where you are part of a team – specifically this means active brainstorming, working on components that are not part of your system, and sharing models as required to support the changing needs of an evolving vehicle and work environment
- A systems approach to design and development with the desire and curiosity to strive for continuous improvement
- Experience with best drawing and modeling practices or methodologies would be beneficial.
- PC literate and at ease with MS Office products
- Travel Requirements of Position
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist you with your job search or application for employment, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.