Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
You will be a critical member of the Prototype and Special Projects Team and, while reporting to the Shop Manager, you will work in partnership with and support our entire department. The team you are joining is responsible for engineering, design and build of advanced concept properties, prototypes, mules, show vehicles, and other projects. The Team is also responsible for supporting public relations, marketing and internal events where these early development vehicles are utilized. As the Shop Buyer you will support the Prototype and Special Projects shop to maintain inventory or standard materials; purchase equipment, tools, surrogate or off-the-shelf parts and supplies; onboard and manage shop vendors as required; order and track production parts as needed; and coordinate incoming parts for the department.
As a part of the shop you will be responsible to maintain an efficient and effective flow of parts on hand to support a wide variety of builds and shop needs. This role is in Irvine, CA and will require some travel as well as support of the shop team in Plymouth, MI.
- Work closely with the Prototype & Special Projects Engineering and Shop Manager
- Support shop manager and team in purchasing equipment as needed
- Maintain inventory of shop supplies and assets
- Maintain inventory of all shop-built parts
- Lead team effort in organizing and managing shop systems for part and project tracking
- Coordinate all material orders for cross functional teams to support all Prototype & Special Projects timelines
- Coordinate outsourcing of parts and services for builds when necessary
- Work with broader Rivian team as well as external suppliers and others to coordinate parts and materials for builds
- Recommend vendors, materials and processes to improve department quality and efficiency
- Champion overall organization of the shop
- Work in JIRA to track tasks and drive on time completion
- Manage deadlines with suppliers and internal teams
- Utilize your understanding of production, prototyping, and fabrication process and the time, cost, and quality tradeoffs to support the function and growth of the team
- Need to be organized and flexible to changing scope and project priority changed
- Knowledgeable in automotive components and their function within a vehicle
- Open mindset and eager attitude to solve problems
- An understanding of production, prototyping, and fabrication process and the time, cost, and quality tradeoffs
- Prior purchasing experience a plus but not required
- Needs to be flexible to working hour, travel and daily project changes
- The ability to learn, think creatively, solve problems, and work hard
- Travel Requirements of Position
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.