Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Create development test plans to characterize, test and calibrate thermal components and full Heat Pump Thermal Management systems within Rivian’s EV vehicle platforms.
- Conduct tests, post-processing data, and communicate results to stakeholders via reports or other documentation.
- Design / Procure prototype parts and coordinate bench build and setup (including instrumentation)
- Develop methods to diagnose and characterize thermal heat pump system and component behaviors under dynamic and environmental conditions
- Specify and/or develop equipment and instruments for various thermal and fluid flow measurement tests
- Provide direction to the lab personnel to design and fabricate test equipment for mechanical, thermal and electrical systems.
- Execute detailed test plans, analyze results, generate reports and test incidents in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with design engineers to determine appropriate methods to test and pass/fail criteria
- Collaborate with simulation engineers to validate and refine simulation models.
- Contribute to the development and optimization of the vehicle's thermal architecture
- Develop, maintain, and enhance technical memory documents, test procedures, best practices and templates, and tracking of BoM, CTS, CTR, DFMEA, ADV Toolbox, Drawing Templates and lessons learned
- Investigate root cause of failures and help to drive product improvement
- Support design reviews for Product Development & Change Management, Key Stakeholder Reviews, Component Technical Reviews and Supplier Technical Reviews
- Generate and support Thermal managements system DFMEA (design and process)
- Support failure analysis activities during development, throughout production life and after-market.
- Speak up for safety issues and read across activities for actions and closures
- Be technical lead and provide direction to lab personnel (both in house and outside) in setting up and executing tests
- Work with cross functional test teams to align test conditions and test methods for software evaluation, etc. where applicable.
- Work with controls engineers to ensure that thermal control schemes will meet thermal requirements.
- Participate in Bill of Design assessments, CTS, DFMEA, PFMEA, DVP&R, CTR, etc.
- Provide feedback related to Thermal Management system failure modes discovered in testing to Development/Validation Engineers, Design Engineers
- Support technical root cause analysis and resolution of issues found during testing
- Provide analysis from data collected during testing
- Support hardware integration related to interfacing hardware and connection issues
- Provide direction to the lab personnel to design and modify fixtures and instrumentation for Thermal System testing and component development
- Master’s degree in mechanical engineering at least 3 years of automotive work experience or Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of automotive work experience
- Theoretical background in heat transfer, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics
- Demonstrated knowledge of Vehicle Thermal System in particular heat pump system including heat exchangers, sensors, EXVs, CVs, SOVs, bundle assembly and front end module
- Demonstrated knowledge of automated test equipment, test methods and test facilities (Bench, Labs and Proving Grounds).
- Experience with configuring and testing thermal management circuits /components / systems.
- A wide range of experience with automotive data acquisition test tools such as Vector CANoe/CANape, ETAS INCA or similar Tracetronic ECU-Test, Vehicle SPI preferred
- Experience working with vehicle high voltage systems preferred
- Knowledge of lab equipment including vibration test systems, tensile test systems, fatigue analysis tools, etc.
- Knowledge of Vehicle Lab Instrumentation including but not limited to Thermocouples, pressure transducers, flowmeters, etc.
- Prior experience on Validation Process (DVPR), DV and PV testing of thermal components is highly desired
- Proficiency with CAD tools (CATIA) is highly desired
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to work effectively in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively among cross-functional teams
- Ability to work independently and proactively in fast-paced environment
- Strong technical communication skills (written and verbal)
- ~20% Domestic Travel
- Familiar C, C++, Python, Version Control and GUI is a plus
- Familiarity with vehicle networks (Ethernet, CAN, LIN) protocols
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.