Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Define, coordinate, develop, source, release, and deliver components required to execute Rivian’s drive unit assemblies.
- Manage Bill of Materials and associated attribute roll ups for cost and mass
- Generate/revise detailed 3D CAD models and 2D drawings of powertrain related parts.
- Review designs & drawings for completeness and accuracy.
- Facilitate cross functional reviews and quantify tradeoffs to propose/present solutions to component or sub system issues related to cost, mass, package, or performance.
- Develop, populate, and manage system level requirements for the drive system
- Work with component DRE’s to cascade system level requirements into component technical specifications, DVP&Rs, test plans as well as Statements of Work (SOW) as required.
- Participate in DFMEA discussions and manage drive unit level DFMEA content/activity
- Review and verify system and component analysis (FEA, CFD, 1D simulation, etc) to ensure product attribute targets are met.
- Generate and manage drive unit assembly level DVP content
- Work with Test and Development resources to execute DVP in accordance with drive unit/vehicle milestones.
- Coordinate with the Rivian Manufacturing Engineering team to execute the industrialization and assembly of Rivian’s Drive Unit system(s).
- Work closely with purchasing to competitively source components
- Work closely with supplier quality Team to ensure product quality
- Collaborate with other members of the engineering staff to support both project and internal R&D efforts.
- Provide technical support and system analysis for root cause analysis timely resolution of development manufacturing, and warranty issues
- Participate in lessons learned reviews to share knowledge with other Drive Unit Assembly DRE’s across multiple drive unit programs.
- Bachelors or higher degree with in mechanical/electrical engineering
- 5+ years of experience related automotive design, release, and production
- Favorable technical background/experience/exposure includes:
- HV Distribution Systems
- Electric Propulsion System Design (Motor, Gearbox, Inverter)
- Halfshafts/Driveline Systems
- Electrified Drive System Mount Design
- Managing BOM content and attributes in PLM/SAP systems (Enovia direct experience preferred)
- Managing BOM variants and facilitating part revisions through approval and implementation processes
- Launching new models/products into automotive high volume production
- Working with manufacturing teams and suppliers to understand and implement DFM/DFA learnings
- Gearset analysis software packages (Masta preferred)
- Motor design principles for induction and permanent magnet machines
- Inverter architecture and core component physics/principles
- Proficiency in CAD; CATIA V5/V6 strongly preferred
- Proficiency in PLM/SAP tools (Rivian uses Enovia)
- Proficiency in GD&T, tolerance stack-up assembly level analyses (linear & radial)
- Experience with FEA conducting stress analysis on various components and assemblies comprised of various metals and plastics.
- Extensive experience in DFMEA, DVP&R and PFMEA.
- Detailed knowledge of relevant manufacturing techniques of drive unit assembly process for both low & high volume production.
- Familiarity with dynamometer test equipment and setup criteria
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude with minimal supervision is expected
- Experience in manufacturing best practices, and processes required to achieve a high level of quality while being open to new processes/practices.
- The ability to work effectively in a cross functional group setting, including essential technical guidance to support Senior Management
- An understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing and how to apply it.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.