Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
This is what you’ll do:
- Lead the systems design process, with a focus on software and controls
- Analyze storage system and end-user specifications to derive sub-system requirements and develop requirements specifications & requirements verification traceability
- Lead the development of functional safety-specific features and functions to comply with necessary safety standards such as UL 1998 and 991
- Communicate with engineers to update/modify documentation to maintain accurate representation of deliverables; Use tracking tools such as Confluence and JIRA to capture changes
- Lead analysis of technical, logistical and schedule risks associated with various controls and software solutions
- Analyze vehicle battery management system and system level battery controls to update for stationary storage specific use cases
This is what you’ll need:
- 5+ years of work experience in Lithium Battery industries
- Masters degree in an engineering discipline
- Previous experience with battery systems design, or high-voltage battery systems
- Experience creating requirements from the ground up, using engineering analysis
- Experience with model-based design; creating control systems and models with Matlab/Simulink
- Experience with programming and embedded systems; familiar with basic software development and C programming
- Versed in software development, hardware testing, and production procurement timelines
- Versed with automated requirements management tools (e.g. JAMA, Doors, etc.)
- Versed with issue tracking tools (Jira, Bugzilla, etc.)
- Previous experience with design according to UL 1998 and 991 is a plus
- Previous experience with product launches and production schedules
- Must be able to adapt and work within dynamic development timelines, with accelerated hardware production timelines and software releases
- Familiar with battery measurement and controls architecture
- Previous experience with DFMEA and leading the design review processes
- Capable of using a variety of engineering tools such as CAN loggers, software debuggers, oscilloscopes, multi-meters, and HV test equipment
- Excellent problem-solving skills; reliant on core engineering principles
- Strong communication, multitasking, and interpersonal skills, both in presentation and technical writing
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Energy Storage Systems
Location: Irvine, CA
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.