Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Develop models to predict lifetime of lithium ion cells using semi-empirical for cycling and calendar life
- Predict lifetime of lithium ion cells and packs under different usage and operating conditions
- Model thermal behavior of the cell and pack and their effect on battery cell lifetime
- Design of experiment to validate/calibrate models at cell/pack levels
- Develop specifications for cell that meets lifetime target for Rivian stationary energy storage applications
- Drive the decision for cell’s selection (chemistry and design) and system design based on the modeling and test results
- Define pathways to improve cell/pack design with enhanced performance and lifetime; develop intellectual property for Rivian’s battery cell technology
- Review academic literature of lithium ion cells and beyond to advance Rivian’ battery cell technology
- PhD in a relevant engineering discipline
- 0-2 years of industrial experience in modeling the cell’s lifetime
- Strong understanding of electrochemistry and thermal behavior of lithium ion cells
- Deep knowledge of using DQdV, dVdQ to identify degradation/failure mode of lithium ion cells
- Strong understanding of degradation mechanisms of lithium ion cells
- Strong understanding of cell’s components and their interactions inside the cell
- Strong understanding about the relationship between pack design and it’s performance and lifetime
- Familiar with potentiostat, cyclers and electrochemical characterization
- Experience with Python and MATLAB/Simulink
- Problem solving skills, ability to think outside the box
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Passionate about research/work; willing to put extra effort to get the job done; Work well both individually and in a team
- Excellent communication skill
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.