Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Reliability is at the core of Electric Adventure Vehicles. As a Technician in the Failure Analysis team, you will play a key role in generating insight through assistance in failure analysis investigations for all Rivian products from the vehicle to component level.
The FA Lab Technician will aid in laboratory equipment maintenance, management of consumables stock, and sample tracking and inventory, reports to the FA Lab Manager.
Assist the lab engineers and scientists in their failure analysis investigations.
- Operation of various laboratory equipment (specific instrument training will be provided) to generate data, perform materials characterization testing, and preparation of samples.
- Preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment on a scheduled basis to ensure maximum uptime and operability of the equipment.
- Assist in day to day organization of the lab, including ordering consumables, maintenance of chemical inventory, sample organization and tracking, etc.
- Produce clear and concise reports to summarize data collected and be able to clearly present this to the FA lab engineers and scientists.
Experience working in a laboratory environment, including the handling and safe working practices associated with hazardous chemicals.
Must be very safety conscious and uphold lab safety guidelines.
Experience in metallurgical sample preparation - cross sectioning, grinding, polishing and etching (including handling hazardous chemicals and mixing etchant recipes).
Experience with optical microscopes and macro photography.
Experience working with basic machine shop tools such as band saw, drill press, belt sander, lathe, milling machine, etc.
A desire to create a respectful, fun, inclusive and inspiring team and company culture is a must!
- Basic electrical testing equipment such as oscilloscopes, volt meters, signal generators, impedance testers, micro probe stations, etc.
- Mechanical testing equipment (e.g. Instron, MTS) for tensile, bend, fatigue testing, etc.
- Hardness / Micro Hardness testing
- Thermal Imaging / High Speed camera operation.
- X-ray imaging - 3D CT Scanner or 2D X-ray system
- Experience in the automotive industry is a big plus
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist you with your job search or application for employment, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.