Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Lead System Design - Plan and lead the design of the mechanical systems within our Rivian facilities, which include production, commercial, and workplace facilities. Mechanical systems may include HVAC, plumbing, fire protection, and process piping systems. This will include working on a wide portfolio of diverse projects, from new factories to high-end retail locations to company offices.
- Solve Technical Problems - Solve technically complex problems using fundamental, data driven methodologies. Investigate new system architectures, new equipment, and new construction techniques. Conduct planning studies and load estimates for future facility expansion. Review designs and challenge assumptions.
- Manage Projects - Plan and execute engineering projects, including creating scopes and schedules, creating requests for proposals and contracts, selecting internal and external resources, and managing to project completion.
- Establish Standards and Processes - Establish standard processes, specifications, and analyses to improve design and delivery of all facilities. Work in digital environments to ensure proper design and coordination.
- Provide Dynamic Collaboration - Engage as a technical expert with a diverse set of teams within Rivian, from manufacturing to construction to operations to executive level stakeholders. Close and active collaboration and a nimble and agile approach will be key to success
- Support Sustainability – Engage and champion Rivian’s goals of sustainability and decarbonization through system designs and project decisions – Forever Starts Now
- Develop The Team – Help us build a world-class Engineering Team through recruitment and establishing a high-performance culture.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (or related discipline) with 5+ years of experience. Hiring level commensurate with experience
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex technical problems and deliver technical projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of thermodynamic principles, equipment sizing, and/or equipment curves.
- Experience working with cross functional disciplines, including external stakeholders and clients.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in BIM and other CAD environments.
- Desire to work in a technically complex and fast-moving environment
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Experience leading the design for major commercial and industrial facilities
- Experience working in building load modelling software or thermal modelling software
- Experience with automating workflows and analyses through programming and scripts
THIS IS WHERE YOU’LL WORK:
Department: Infrastructure Design
Locations: Palo Alto, CA; Irvine, CA; Normal, IL; Plymouth, MI
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.