Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
“The Craftsmanship Quality Engineer role resides within the Perceived Quality team and is largely responsible for ensuring that the perception and build execution of our products live up to our brand’s promise. The emotional connection which bonds customer to product, both overt and unarticulated. Within this role you can expect to be heavily involved in various phases of a product’s development. Beginning with early attribute target setting, through facilitating the creation of detailed A-Surface and CAD geometry and ending with physical build assessments and issue resolution. This role is dynamic, fast paced, multi-faceted and success is dependent upon operating and collaborating cross-functionally within the business.”
• Lead development of vehicle level craftsmanship for Rivian products
• Participate in competitive benchmarking and establish Bill of Design criteria for craftsmanship excellence
• Jointly co-validate Design criteria with Concept, Core and Subject Matter Expert teams
• Drive proven interface characteristics into program master sections
• Establish a master deck detailing specification for every visible part interface
• Define and provide target specifications to Studio, Engineering and Supplier teams
• Lead interface maturation process
• Establish strategic objectives with Engineering to deliver exceptional craftsmanship
• Partner with Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing to ensure robust feasibility of design
• Support dimensional variation analysis and risk assessment studies
• Translate feasibility requirements into concise Studio direction
• Track performance to established targets through key metrics and data visualization
• Virtually validate data for craftsmanship excellence
• Verify Studio and Engineering conformance to inputs
• Translate requirements into a detailed build standard
• Lead handoff of build standard to production teams
• Lead issue discovery and resolution process for prototype builds
• Ability to support urgent program deliverables as required with minimal notice or instruction
• Participate in product launch initiatives to meet timing and craftsmanship milestones and objectives
• Four-year technical degree, Masters preferred
• 5+ years’ experience with Craftsmanship and Perceived Quality Standards at a global Automotive O.E.M.
• 2+ years’ of GD&T performance analysis
• Knowledge of part and assembly tolerance stack analysis
• Expert skill in Catia
• Experience with statistical qualification of machinery, equipment, and gages
• Strong statistical awareness and vision of what high quality looks like
• Strong understanding of material impact to overall craftsmanship and perceived quality
• Knowledge of AIAG, APQP and related tools to meet program milestones
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.