Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
As the Global Connectivity Operations Lead, you will be responsible for leading an operations team that will maintain multi-cellular and multi-access connectivity to Rivian vehicles, thereby allowing robust connectivity for not only today’s adventures but tomorrow’s as well. Specifically, this role will proactively monitor, triage, and resolve connectivity issues across Rivian’s global fleet, escalate issues/outages to the appropriate engineering team and/or carrier, and assist in the validation of new features/integrations that enable Rivian to execute on our core connectivity functionality and services.
This is a high impact role with meaningful cross-functional visibility as connectivity is the foundation in which all of Rivian’s digital capabilities are built upon. Rivian’s Connected Fleet team works closely with cross-functional partners to support engineering, testing, and deployments across our global fleet of vehicles. This is a ground floor opportunity to revolutionize the connected car segment with an always connected vehicle that uploads thousands of signals every minute.
This is what you’ll do:
- Ensure robust connectivity for all consumer/commercial vehicles and charger deployments by proactively monitoring connectivity and anomalies across Rivian’s global fleet to remotely resolve issues.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in regards to connectivity/OTA on Rivian vehicles and chargers and provide education to internal Rivian teams on Tier 1 and Tier 2 support and diagnostics.
- Operate a Tier 3 support desk that can receive connectivity/OTA escalations from multiple teams such as service centers, engineering, and customer experience centers.
- Promptly triage, resolve, or escalate connectivity issues to engineering and/or the carrier. Track the progress of escalated issues to ensure SLA’s are met and that Rivian is providing the best possible experience to the vehicle owner.
- Track the progress of OTA campaigns across Rivian’s global fleet and promptly triage/resolve failed software updates.
- Work with product management, digital technology, and vehicle engineering to onboard new carriers and validate new integrations/features prior to releasing to production.
- Responsible for testing and validating connectivity solutions end to end in partnership with Rivian engineering, vendors, and network operators.
- Monitor the cellular configuration of a vehicle through its entire lifecycle, track the progress of eSIM swaps, and manually update the cellular configuration of vehicles when necessary.
- Act as the point of contact for carrier network outages, service bulletins, billing reconciliation, and work with the appropriate resources to resolve carrier billing issues
this is what you’ll need:
- 5+ years working as technical support engineer or network operations within the IoT, wireless/networking, or connected car industries.
- Self-motivated/scrappy with the ability to dive right in, develop effective processes, and work to ensure our vehicles remain connected.
- Experience with various cellular & Wi-Fi technology components such as 4G/5G, Wi-Fi connectivity management, and Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Experience with IoT solutions that involve complex OTA campaigns, lifecycle management, API/network integrations with various cell carriers/connectivity management platforms, and eSIM
- Strong cross-functional experience with engineering, customer support, finance, product management, and
- Knowledge of the basic milestones within the cellular provisioning process and how to manage the SIM lifecycle.
- Confidence and ability to lead troubleshooting and escalation efforts with service providers (MNO/MVNO/MSO).
- Strong business and technical acumen with the ability to translate between the two.
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.