Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Rivian Technical Service Operations Team is responsible for the ongoing success of Rivian’s Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) and energy products.
We are looking for an experienced Field Service Engineer to support the commissioning, operation, and maintenance of our network. In this role, you will work with stakeholders across the organization to troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve issues in the field.
The ideal candidate is adept at systematically analyzing and troubleshooting issues in the field to accurately identify root-cause and efficiently execute corrective action. They must have extensive hands-on field service experience with EVSE, energy-storage, and/or Solar PV infrastructure along with exceptional communication skills and attention to detail. Additionally, they must be comfortable with frequent travel, working outdoors
The right candidate prides workmanship above all.
This is what you’ll do:
- Commission vehicle charging stations (DC & AC), evaluating the installation, configuration, and operation of individual components and integrated systems
- Document commissioning details; communicate deficiencies and progress
- Respond to correct maintenance issues on EVSE, commercial solar PV, and energy storage systems
- Conduct testing and inspection of systems under maintenance agreement
- Systematically troubleshoot complex issues; work cross-functionally to identify root-cause and implement corrective active
- Document all service activities in clear, concise detail; update digital ticketing and dispatch tools promptly and accurately
- Generate documentation to support quality and warranty processes
- Identify code and non-conformance issues
- Quote maintenance jobs and provide detailed parts and labor requirements to estimators
- Support junior- and mid-level technicians with work planning
- Provide technical guidance to issues escalated by junior- and mid-level technicians; reinforce service quality by identifying training opportunities and knowledge-gaps
- Report on activities completed, deferred, or requiring further action or material
- Create detailed test and inspection reports based on code and operational requirements
- Travel both in and out of home-market service territory
- Work overtime when needed
- Represent the Rivian brand to customers
This is what you’ll need:
- 7-10 years of combined EVSE/PV/energy-storage field service experience
- High school diploma or state-recognized GED; trades experience in electrical preferred
- Understanding of the NEC codes that relate to commercial installation and knowledge of NFPA 70E practices
- Understanding of high, medium, and low voltage system components
- Familiar with IoT networking systems configuration
- Proficient working with spreadsheets, word processing, and computer-based applications (e.g. time tracking, case management, etc.).
- Excellent customer-facing and customer service skills
- Ability to read and understand design schematics, construction documents, and technical repair guides
- Ability to work in a variety of circumstances, including
- Climbing ladders/scaffolds/high-lift equipment
- Outdoors and indoors during hot, cold, or inclement weather
- Ability to use hand tools, diagnostic equipment (digital multi-meter, power meter, etc), laptop/table, smartphone.
- Comfortable carrying/moving tools and equipment up to 60-lbs. unassisted
- Excellent time management skills, coordinating travel and provisioning logistics to ensure work is completed within contractual SLA periods.
- Valid driver’s license in good standing
This is where you’ll work:
Department: Energy & Charging
Location: Remote (Eastern Region)
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.