Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Development of electric vehicle charging technology and the widespread availability of chargers are as essential to the mass adoption of EVs as the vehicles themselves. Rivian is developing charging technology, and is building a charging business that supports EV owners at every level of their charging needs ranging from the DC fast charging Rivian Adventure Network, to the AC Rivian Waypoints (available to all EV users), to in-home, and portable charging products.
Rivian is seeking world class Standards Engineer to lead our certification program for both domestic and internationally targeted Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 charging products. This individual will be the first Standards Engineer in charging, and will be responsible for leading our charging products through certifications, while educating our engineers and program leaders on how to design for comprehensive safety as well as certification.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Be the Directly Responsible Individual (DRI) for:
- Leading regulatory compliance projects with agencies and test labs
- Educating our engineering teams and program leaders on how to design for safety and certification
- Developing a certification strategy to take our products to global markets
- Ensuring regulatory requirements are accurately captured in our requirements managements tool
- Participating in design reviews and offering a regulatory compliance perspective
- Developing validation plans to ensure systems and sub-system pre-test compliance
- Preparing and filing compliance documentation for global market access
- Development engineers to take a design-for-certification approach to product development
- Technical program managers to educate them on the timelines and dependencies
- Test labs to develop working relationships to support high velocity development timelines
- Component suppliers to ensure regulatory requirements are met
Report on and Escalate:
- Regular progress across all open programs
- Program-level risks and unknowns
- Key and gating decisions, so they can be made with expedience
- Opportunities for improvement in our product development process as it pertains to certification
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 10+ years of industry experience in a certification role or an EE design role with significant certification responsibilities
- Experience working in or closely with certified safety laboratories
- A Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering (or equivalent career experience)
- A passion for making world-class products that impact customers in a positive way
- Experience working on multiple high velocity projects concurrently
- Experience with medium and high voltage products
- 3+ years experience certifying products for international markets
- Experience with Level 2 and Level 3 electric vehicle charging products
- Experience working in or closely with functional safety teams
- Experience developing high-reliability, high safety-requirement complex products
- Experience disambiguating ambiguity – we’re a new team, making new products, with new processes
- An excellent ability to work with and communicate across cross-functional teams
- Excellent computer skills, especially with communication tools and program management tools
- Be comfortable working in a fast moving, multi-threaded, environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidate Data Privacy
Rivian may collect, use and disclose your personal information or personal data (within the meaning of the applicable data protection laws) when you apply for employment and/or participate in our recruitment processes (“Candidate Personal Data”). This data includes contact, demographic, communications, educational, professional, employment, social media/website, network/device, recruiting system usage/interaction, security and preference information. Rivian may use your Candidate Personal Data for the purposes of (i) tracking interactions with our recruiting system; (ii) carrying out, analyzing and improving our application and recruitment process, including assessing you and your application and conducting employment, background and reference checks; (iii) establishing an employment relationship or entering into an employment contract with you; (iv) complying with our legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations; (v) recordkeeping; (vi) ensuring network and information security and preventing fraud; and (vii) as otherwise required or permitted by applicable law.
Rivian may share your Candidate Personal Data with (i) internal personnel who have a need to know such information in order to perform their duties, including individuals on our People Team, Finance, Legal, and the team(s) with the position(s) for which you are applying; (ii) Rivian affiliates; and (iii) Rivian’s service providers, including providers of background checks, staffing services, and cloud services.
Rivian may transfer or store internationally your Candidate Personal Data, including to or in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union and in the cloud, and this data may be subject to the laws and accessible to the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities of such jurisdictions.
Please note that we are currently not accepting applications from third party application services.