Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
Rivian is looking to hire YOU, an eager and experienced technical writer, to organize and document automation machine standards. These standards will describe electrical, programming, and machine building specifications which will be used as the instructions for building new manufacturing lines. They will provide the foundation for Rivian’s next generation. The writer in this position will work closely with the Manufacturing Engineers who will develop and provide rough, detailed documentation. You will be responsible for converting these rough documents into well-organized legible guidelines.
- Work with cross-functional manufacturing teams to develop plans for creating and organizing documentation, including schedules that will allow us to meet product launch deadlines.
- Compile, finalize, organize, and release all documentation for the Rivian Controls Standards package.
- Lead the creation of style, localization, and content reuse guidelines.
- Create and manage a version control strategy for the documentation.
- Manage the continuous improvement strategies for the documentation to close loopholes, add missing information, and clarify items that cause confusion.
- Contribute to the development of standards, guidelines, templates, and tools for the Rivian Technical Publications team.
- Develop proficiency with the MadCap Authoring and Management System.
- Ensure that documentation is complete, clear, and accurate by researching standards, interviewing subject matter experts, performing content validation checks, participating in peer reviews, and analyzing feedback.
- Additional responsibilities for this position may include the development of documentation for vehicles, charging equipment, enterprise software systems, or other Rivian products.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, technical writing, engineering, or technology.
- 2+ years of experience creating documentation for hardware or software products. Experience documenting manufacturing standards and processes is preferred.
- Proven ability to solve complex probleams, work with ambiguity, and be self-motivated.
- Experience developing and refining new processes, standards, templates, or internal tools.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Word and other Microsoft Office products.
- Experience performing specialized publishing tasks such template creation, development and use of content reuse strategies, and translation management is preferred.
- Ability to manage tasks and information flow using collaboration software such as JIRA, Confluence, SharePoint, Smartsheet, and Lucidchart.
- Interest in exploring the creation of automation tools leveraging VBA or MS Office Macros to link together documentation and checklists.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and challenging work environment.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.