Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
The Facilities Design team is Rivian’s in-house design team focused on the physical touchpoints of the brand; from workplace to retail & production, and everything in-between. Our ideal candidate is an incredibly organized and detail-focused person who can self-manage and collaborate well with others.
This role is responsible for architecting an organized system and processes for carrying out the activities to support materials library management. This role will assist interior designers with a variety of project-related tasks, keeping abreast of and communicating current design and material trends, administering project archiving and storage standard processes, as well as being a resource for all project teams.
In addition to supporting the activities of the Design team, your daily activities will include collaboration among our Design Technology team, Environmental Graphic Designers, as well as adjacent teams such as Construction Management and Operations.
- Research architectural materials and products with a focus on local/regional sources and sustainable products
- Assist Designers with the curation and selection of materials (across various project types) for presentations
- Maintain samples and stock. Keep library/project spaces clean, filed, and aesthetically pleasing
- Build and maintain vendor relationships
- Coordinate vendor visits, lunch/learns in and out of the office, and keep vendor contact information up-to-date in a digital database
- A resource for material selection (including knowledge and database of lead times and cost) and involved in offering material alternatives, as needed
- Assist Designers with information search requests
- Staying abreast of developing trends in the architecture and design community, including sourcing and screening new vendors
- Develop an understanding of and help facilitate project storage needs, working closely with all project teams
- Be the primary resource for administering project archiving standards throughout the project lifecycle (digital and physical clean up and archiving), mentoring project staff on protocols for proper digital and physical lifecycle management
- A regular housecleaning of products and samples
- 3+ years of direct or adjacent architectural and/or interior design experience
- Excellent communication skills: listening, written, and verbal. Time will be spent coordinating and networking with industry reps through phone-based, email-based, and face-to-face communication. Ability to build good relationships at all levels, internally and externally.
- Librarian and/or archiving skills or interest
- Knowledge and experience with the architecture/design industry a plus
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Resourceful and resilient
- Very strong organization skills. You will be receiving direction and requests from many designers across various project types during any given day/week. Organizational ability is needed to keep accurate information and prioritize tasks. Ability to manage time efficiently
- Design and Architecture Materials Knowledge: A general knowledge of materials, furniture, and applications for commercial interior design and architecture
- Ability to work in a team environment, under tight deadlines
- A can-do attitude and willingness to dive into a varied set of tasks
- Willingness to travel at a time when it’s safe to do so (post-pandemic)
Rivian is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: Rivian is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Rivian are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Rivian will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Rivian encourages applicants of all ages.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.