Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Contribute to the fabric that brings together all of the vehicle features into a consistent cohesive implementation.
- You will be a technical reference to make key engineering decisions.
- Identify optimizations and synergies across the vehicle. Bringing together feature champions and tech leads as needed to collaborate on design decisions
- Coordinate between hardware and software teams for new architecture decisions and contribute technical inputs to the overall system roadmap
- Pull in subject matter experts for specific areas
- Define the logical/protocol connections between ECU and endpoints (actuators, sensors, etc…)
- Contribute to ECU/module requirements: electrical, configurable, fault tolerance, etc…
- Define functional breakdown of what belongs in each controller in the vehicle
- Analyze component selection and architecture decisions taking into account cost, weight, harnessing, driver implementation, integration and diagnostic effort, etc…
- Define & maintain network architecture details
- Logical topology
- Bandwidth usage, margin, constraints, ECU allocation, etc…
- Work closely with SW developers, system and integration engineers, and service to define and drive diagnostic improvements for both engineering and customer vehicles. Including the criteria for each and the methods for enabling/disabling as needed in the code.
- Simplify, improve, and validate Rivian designs such that the platform is modularized to the greatest extent possible.
- Coordinate design reviews for any/all of the above
- Prototype and validate any/all of the above
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or related field.
- 3+ years of experience working on electromechanical devices.
- Strong understanding of the trade-offs required to properly evaluate different design options.
- Software development experience. Able to read/debug code, familiar with Git, Jira, and software development lifecycle.
- Ability to take large concepts, decompose into realizable deliverables and work with team members to distribute tasks and execute individual responsibilities with minimal guidance.
- Ability to apply creative and critically thinking to deliver exceptional results.
- Good communication, able to convey both detailed explanations and high level status updates and know when each is appropriate.
- Automotive, CAN, Ethernet experience a plus.
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.