Rivian is on a mission to keep the world adventurous forever. This goes for the emissions-free Electric Adventure Vehicles we build, and the curious, courageous souls we seek to attract.
As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
In this position you will develop thermal and fluid distribution networks 3D & 1D models specifically for electric machine thermal management and lubrication.
- Analyze and verify of preliminary and detailed designs with analytical calculations and/or numerical (FEA/CFD) as required
- Develop processes to incorporate experimental and analytical techniques in product design and testing
- Perform lab tests including selecting test equipment, collecting and processing data
- Correlate and refine models using tested data
- Collaborate with other members of the engineering staff to support both project and internal R&D efforts
- Ensure timely completion of project deliverables including designs, analyses and other documentations as required
- Perform variety of tasks, lead and/or support development activities
- Participate in suppliers’ meetings as needed
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in CFD packages such as Star CCM, Fluent, etc.
- 5+ years modeling and specifying thermal and/or hydraulic system and thermal management solutions
- Strong knowledge of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and heat transfer
- Strong in design of experiment and statistical data analysis
- Experience using MATLAB developing hydraulic & thermal 1D model
- Experience in lab validating thermal & hydraulic designs including performance and durability
- Experience in lab test setup, equipment operation and data collection
- Proficiency in 3D design using CAD packages, such as CATIA or equivalent
- Fundamental knowledge of electric machine topologies, designs and electromagnetic plus mechanical losses
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple tasks while remaining efficient and accurate
- Flexibility and adaptability in a fast paced and dynamic work environment
Rivian is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information or characteristics, physical or mental disability, marital/domestic partner status, age, military/veteran status, medical condition, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Rivian is committed to ensuring that our hiring process is accessible for persons with disabilities. If you have a disability or limitation, such as those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, that requires accommodations to assist you in the search and application process, please email us at email@example.com.
We take your privacy seriously. For details please see our Candidate Privacy Notice.